With its simple design and easy-to-use controls, QuickTime Player makes everything you watch even more enjoyable. Its clean, uncluttered interface never gets in the way of what you’re watching. A powerful multimedia technology with a built-in media player, QuickTime lets you view Internet video, HD movie trailers, and personal media in a wide range of file formats. And it lets you enjoy them in remarkably high quality.
QuickTime features advanced video compression technology called H.264 to deliver brilliant, crisp HD video using less bandwidth and storage. So you’ll experience pristine video quality wherever you watch your movies or videos.Chosen as the industry-standard codec for 3GPP (mobile multimedia), MPEG-4 HD-DVD and Blu-ray, H.264 represents the next generation of video for everything from mobile multimedia to high-definition playback. QuickTime is many things: a file format, an environment for media authoring and a suite of applications:
- QuickTime Player — for playing back audio and video files
- Browser plug-ins — for viewing media within a web page
- PictureViewer — for working with still images (Windows only; Preview is available on Mac OS X)
- MPEG-2 Playback Component — for playing back MPEG-2 content (requires separate purchase)
About the security content of QuickTime 7.7.8:
Apple has released a security update to address multiple vulnerabilities in QuickTime for Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Exploitation of one of these vulnerabilities may allow an attacker to take control of an affected system.
- Impact: Processing a maliciously crafted file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
- Description: Multiple memory corruption issues existed in QuickTime. These issues were addressed through improved memory handling.