As reported by MaxConsole, a Nintendo of France marketing employee appears to have leaked the specifications of the yet to be announced Wii 2.
Due to be released in the third quarter of 2010, the Wii 2 will contain a Blu-ray drive with the intention of minimizing piracy, as well as 1080p support for games and movies. Additionally, there will be an option to trade in the original Wii for a discount on the updated Wii 2.
More details include (translated from French):
This is a nice exclusive we have here at MaxConsole courtesy of Artik from www.Logic-sunrise.com on the Wii 2. The actual information is said to have been leaked from an internal source of the marketing Nintendo France Service. Unlucky for them, this kind of information should stay internal, but that's not our philosophy.
- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii.
Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worlwide annoucement, only one month before release date. Huge publicity and Viral Marketing will be utilized to create the Buzz. Official pictures are not yet available, and more specs will be released in due course.
The long-rumored high definition Wii which will upgrade the Wii's hardware to current console technology was rumored to be released in 2013.
Thank you to Neowin member Audioboxer for the news tip.