Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie Plus / Classic changelog:
- added debug switch to disable Sbie console redirection "NoSandboxieConsole=y" -- note that this was previously part of "NoSandboxieDesktop=y"
- added Sbie+ version to the log #1277
- added uninstall cleanup of extra files for the Plus installer (by mpheath) #1235
- added set language for Sandman for the Plus installer (by mpheath) #1241
- added EventLog messages with SbieMsg.dll for the Plus installer (by mpheath)
- group expansion state is now saved
- added additional filters to the trace tab
- reworked and extended RPC logging
- reintroduced the "UseRpcMgmtSetComTimeout=some.dll,n" setting to be used when no "RpcPortBinding" entry is specified
- --- this allows to enable/disable out of box RPC binding independently from the timeout setting
- the "BoxNameTitle" value can now be set explicitly on a per image name basis #1190
- fixed inability to delete read-only files from sandboxed explorer #1237
- fixed wrong recovery target in Plus UI #1274
- fixed SBIE2101 issue introduced with 0.9.7a #1279
- fixed sorting in the box picker window #1269
- fixed tray refresh issue #1250
- fixed tray activity display #1221
- fixed recovery window not displaying in taskbar #1195
- fixed dark theme preset not updating in real time #1270
- fixed Microsoft Edge complaining about "FakeAdminRights=y" #1271
- fixed issue with using local template in the global section #1212
- fixed issue with git.exe from MinGW freezing #1238
- fixed issue with search highlighting when using in dark mode
- removed the ability to sort the trace log as it took too much CPU
Download: Sandboxie Plus 0.9.8 (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus 0.9.8 (32-bit) ~15.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie 5.53 Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie 5.53 Classic (32-bit) ~2.0 MB
View: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware