Another Bilge Rat adventure has come ashore for Sea of Thieves fans with the new 1.1.6 update: The Sunken Curse. This does mean that the doubloons and cosmetic item rewards that were being given for the Gunpowder Skeletons event are no longer achievable, although the explosive enemies themselves will remain a part of the game.
Cursed mermaid statues have popped up in various underwater locations as part of the new event, and players will have to find and destroy these damage dealing and self-healing statues by working together. By participating in this adventure, can once again earn
Be sure to be on the lookout for the usual wondering sharks and hostile pirates while tackling this adventure.
Moreover, to help pirates communicate with each other more, a Bilge Rat flag has also been implemented so any likeminded crews could team up more easily for these weekly events. Meanwhile, treasure items can now be found underwater, giving players more incentives to dive and explore the depths.
The new event will run its course until July 25, giving pirates two whole weeks to earn their doubloons and the new Wailing Barnacle item set seen above.
Here are the rest of the changes that this update carries:
- The Wailing Barnacle Tattoo Set - Now available in the clothing shop on all Outposts, this tattoo set is purchasable with gold and here to stay!
- Legendary Skeleton Exploder Title - We heard feedback from our community that Legendary Commendations are deserving of a Legendary Title, so we have now introduced the 'Legendary Skeleton Exploder' Title. Existing players who have met the criteria can grab it in the Bilge Rat shop for free. If players unlock the Legendary Commendations required for Gunpowder Skeletons in the future, they will automatically be awarded this Title.
- Loading Screens - Now give players information about the latest goings on and what's new in Sea of Thieves.
- Front End Animations - Pirate animations have been updated when entering the game through the front end.
- UI Update - A small banner is shown on Commendations within the Bilge Rat progress screen when there are Bilge Rat Doubloons to be earned.
And here is the list of issues that the 1.1.6 update has resolved as well as the issues currently known by the developer:
- The Hungering Deep rewards which were not received by a number of players who earned them will be awarded over the next few days.
We are rolling out this fix, there will be no in-game prompt so keep an eye in your Customisation Chests for the items and Titles you earned.
- Bilge Rat Doubloons which were earned but not rewarded correctly as part of the Skeleton Thrones Bilge Rats Adventure will be awarded.
We are rolling out a fix over the next few days for players to receive Bilge Rat Doubloons which were not awarded correctly for the Skeleton Thrones event.
- Upon impact, cannonball knockback no longer causes unintended damage to fellow crew members.
- Bear & Bird Figurehead Loading Screen is now localised in all available languages.
- Mysterious Stranger conversation text is now correctly localised in German, French, Italian and Spanish.
- Ghost Trousers no longer appear broken on certain body types.
- Bilge Rat Trousers no longer appear inconsistent when equipped with a peg and mid-length boots.
- The Bilge Rat progression UI now correctly counts Gunpowder Skeleton Titles towards the overall Title count.
- The option to enable and disable the Player Talking Indicator has been added back into Settings.
- Players should now see all their items once they have joined a new server.
- Loading Screen tips should no longer be clipping on 4:3 display screens.
- The 'Gunpowder Plot' Commendation and its Legendary Commendation counterpart may not unlock.
We are investigating a fix for this issue. The time-limited Gunpowder Skeleton event cosmetics will be available again in the future for any players wishing to complete the set.
- Some players travel in an unintended direction when fired from a cannon.
- Some players may continue to hear muffled sounds after being fired from a cannon.
We have reports that being fired out of a cannon again clears the muffled sound.
Beyond that, don't forget that an entirely new major content update is incoming soon after The Sunken Curse event's departure. Titled The Cursed Sails, this update is slated to carry a new ship type, a brand new enemy force to deal with and more features, with a teaser dropping next week.
Sea of Thieves is available on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs both as an outright purchase via the Microsoft Store and also as part of the Xbox Game Pass subscription program, which just added Rocket League to its roster yesterday.