The KDE community and Odin Group have announced the availability of the KDE Slimbook's second iteration, simply dubbed KDE Slimbook II. There are two models available from the Spanish retailer, an Intel i5 version starting from €699, and an Intel i7 version starting from €799. With this iteration of the device, the price entry point is slightly lower than before, making it a more feasible option if you are looking to run Linux out of the box.
The Slimbook announcement reads:
“The KDE Slimbook II is shiny, smart, and sleek, but it is not only good-looking: it is also powerful. The new i5 and i7 microprocessors and DDR4 RAM make it much faster than its predecessor. Other improvements include a touchpad that “clicks” wherever you press it, and larger internal WiFi antennas that guarantee you will get a better reception wherever w WiFi network is available.
As with the prior model, KDE developers have worked with Slimbook to make sure that Linux - specifically KDE neon - works perfectly with all KDE Slimbook’s devices. You will not have to install or configure drivers for the WiFi, graphics card, camera, or anything else: everything works straight out of the box.”
The specifications of the devices are as follows:
- Size: 32.5 x 22 x 0.6 to 1.6 cm
- Weight: 1.3 Kg (including battery)
- Screen: 13.3”, Matte anti-glare
- Screen resolution: FullHD 1920x1080 Pixels
- Ports: 1 x USB 3.0 (USB3.1 Gen1) (Type A), 1 x USB 3.0 (USB3.1 Gen 1) (Type C), 1 x USB 2.0 (Type A)
- CPU: Intel i5: 2.5 GHz Turbo Boost 3.1 GHz - 3M Cache, or Intel i7: 2.7 GHz Turbo Boost 3.5 GHz - 4M Cache
- GPU (Graphics): Intel HD 620 4K
- RAM: DDR4 4GB, 8GB or 16GB
- Storage: M.2 SSD of 120GB, 250GB, 500GB or 1TB At speeds between 500 MB/s and 2,200 MB/s
- Secondary Storage: Optional: 2.5” 7mm height drive or SSD in capacities of 500GB, 1TB and 2TB
- Networking: WiFi Intel 7265N or Intel 8265 AC (USB to Ethernet dongle optional)
- Keyboards available: US, GB, ES, DE, etc.
- Touchpad: Large Multi-touch Elan Synaptics and with the possibility of gestures
- Warranty 2 years within Europe
- Operating System: KDE Neon (Ubuntu based)
- Other: Reset button
The KDE Slimbook II looks like a good option for those trying to find a modern laptop which works with Linux out of the box. While almost any computer should work with Linux without too much hassle, this option is great for those who may not have the technical know-how about installing a new operating system, or don't want to jump through hoops to tackle troublesome hardware on their existing machines.