Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 19.01.24 fixes:
- Fixed launch crash on Linux by excluding libdrm libraries.
- Fixed audio level changed by the Mask : From File filter.
- Fixed Text filter may have glitches with Export > Parallel processing (regression in v18.12.x).
- Fixed missing file detected when Stabilize filter added without clicking Analyze.
- Fixed external monitoring on Linux screen.
- Fixed unable to detect hardware encoders with spaces in the installation folder path.
- Fixed changing Speed can move a clip.
- Fixed changing Speed has no effect when the system region and language decimal separators are different.
- Fixed filter duration not adjusted when trimming a transition.
- Fixed ripple trim when clip has a transition.
- Fixed removing a transition by trimming adds some frames.
- Fixed aspect ratio for File > Export Frame with non-square pixel video.
- Fixed handling relative paths to external resources in the Overlay HTML editor.
- Fixed a crash opening a project after removing the bottom video track.
- Fixed the lossless/H.264 preset to be completely lossless.
- Fixed dropping a file from a file manager whose name has special/extended characters (e.g. [, ]).
- Fixed the state of the enabled checkbox for the Overlay HTML filter and when using a color picker.
- Fixed distortion after changing the Keyframe Type of a keyframe for the Scale parameter in the Rotate and Scale filter.
- Fixed right-clicking a keyframe to open context menu may change its position.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v4.1
- Improved Color Grading filter by letting all parameters go from -100% to 100%.
- Added an automatic retry without Parallel processing when Export job fails.
- Set the Save as type list on the Export File dialog on Windows when a preset defines a filename extension.
- Added Center Playhead option to the Timeline and Keyframes menus.
- Added Slow Zoom ___, Hold ___ presets to the Size and Position filter.
- Added a Chroma Hold video filter.
- Added a Swirl (HTML) video filter.
- Added a simple Templates framework to the Overlay HTML filter (see path Shotcut\share\shotcut\qml\filters\webvfx\templates to add your own) with the following templates:
- Blank HTML
- Blue Middle Bar
- Creative Commons Music
- Blank with Web Animations
- Simple Scroll
Shotcut 19.01.27 changelog:
- Fixed Text animation/keyframes not working in v19.01.24.
- Fixed distortion when a Mirror filter is placed before a Size and
- Position or Rotate and Scale filter.
- Fixed Levels filter in locales with comma for decimal point.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware