Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
What's new in Shotcut 20.09.13:
Added a Blur: Pad video filter and made it available in Slideshow generator as Pad Blur.
Added a Text: Rich video filter and made Text: HTML hidden since it is deprecated (still loads in old projects).
Added a workspace layout switcher to the main toolbar for the new stock workspace layouts.
Added a VUI to the 360: Transform video filter to adjust parameters by dragging.
Added Set Equirectangular Projection... to the Jobs menu for a successful export job. This is used to add metadata to a video file to indicate it is 360॰ video in the equirectangular projection as required by most players and web services.
Added Zoom to fit icons to the Timeline and Keyframes toolbars.
- Fixed using a secure connection to get the upgrade URL.
- Fixed a rounding error for Color Grading video filter.
- Fixed a crash and incorrect preview scaling with more than one Rotate and Scale or Size and Position filter.
- Fixed colors when using an alpha/VP8 or alpha/VP9 export preset.
- Fixed video compositing with nothing on video track V1 or V1 hidden.
- Fixed export may fail when using extended (non-Latin-1) characters in path.
- Fixed EDL export.
- Fixed Export, Convert, or Reverse may fail if a temporary file it creates becomes locked on Windows.
- Fixed Properties > Color button not opening the color dialog with the current color.
- Fixed the Crop: Source video filter when using Settings > Proxy.
- Fixed a crash when dragging a MLT XML project file to a non-empty Timeline.
- Fixed the font dialog may too big or the preview inside the font dialog too big for Text: Simple filter.
- Fixed filters not being applied to the portion of a clip inside a transition after undo of Cut, Lift, Remove, Ripple Delete, or move.
- Fixed a crash changing speed of a clip with non-standard non-integer or variable frame rate.
- Fixed some dialogs not opening or staying in the foreground.
- Fixed some crashes in timeline overwrite mode.
- Fixed clicking the filters icon next to Output not opening the filters panel.
- Improved the performance of the Timeline especially with projects over one hour long.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 4.3.1.
- Changed Size and Position to Size, Position & Rotate and made Rotate and Scale hidden (only appears in old projects).
- Replaced Choppy, Crop: Circle, and Crop: Rectangle filters with new versions that do not use HTML through WebVfx, which was deprecated in version 20.06.28.
- Changed the Rutt-Etra-Izer, Swirl, and Text: 3D filters to be hidden since they are deprecated (still loads in old projects).
- Replaced View > Layout > Timeline Project, Playlist Project, and Clip-only Project with new, better Logging, Editing, FX, Color, Audio, and Player stock layouts.
- The current layout is saved automatically for each stock layout if selected, and Restore Default Layout is different for each stock layout.
- Changed the video track hidden icon on the System theme to be more clear and obvious.
- Show an error dialog on startup if the frei0r plugins are not installed (only affects Linux distribution packages).
- Changed the keyboard shortcut 0 to zoom timeline to fit.
- Changed the keyboard shortcut Alt+0 to zoom playlist to fit.
- Changed the Timeline and Keyframes time ruler interval to 1 second when zoomed in.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware