Sigil is a free, open source, multi-platform ebook editor. It is designed to edit books in ePub format (both ePub 2 and ePub 3). It also provides features for advanced users, like direct XHTML, CSS and XPGT editing. You can use it to add any of the metadata entries supported by the EPUB specification and create a hierarchical Table of Contents.
Sigil key features:
- Free and open source software under GPLv3
- Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux (note Linux only receives limited support)
- Full UTF-16 support
- EPUB 2 spec support with limited EPUB 3 support
- Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Preview View
- WYSIWYG editing in Book View
- Complete control over directly editing EPUB syntax in Code View
- Table of Contents generator with multi-level heading support
- Metadata editor
- User interface translated into many languages
- Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- Full Regular Expression (PCRE) support for Find & Replace
- Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets,
- Documents can be validated for EPUB compliance with the integrated
- All imported files have their formatting corrected, and your editing can be optionally cleaned
Sigil 0.9.12 release notes:
This Sigil release is primarily to address bugs introduced by the upgrade to Qt5.11.2 and Python 3.7 in the previous release.
- fix typo in cssreformatter that caused errors with @ fontface (issue #394)
- workaround for qt bug affecting tab close buttons on Mac (commit f3b9399)
- fix Mac Qt5 plugin dylibs that macdeployqt broke in Sigil-0.9.11
Be aware that Sigil-0.9.12 still enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX so that it generates as backward a compatible epub as possible. This may be relaxed in future releases.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware