Sigil is a free, open source, multi-platform ebook editor. It is designed to edit books in ePub format (both ePub 2 and ePub 3). It also provides features for advanced users, like direct XHTML, CSS and XPGT editing. You can use it to add any of the metadata entries supported by the EPUB specification and create a hierarchical Table of Contents.
Sigil key features:
- Free and open source software under GPLv3
- Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux (note Linux only receives limited support)
- Full UTF-16 support
- EPUB 2 spec support with limited EPUB 3 support
- Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Preview View
- WYSIWYG editing in Book View
- Complete control over directly editing EPUB syntax in Code View
- Table of Contents generator with multi-level heading support
- Metadata editor
- User interface translated into many languages
- Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- Full Regular Expression (PCRE) support for Find & Replace
- Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets,
- Documents can be validated for EPUB compliance with the integrated
- All imported files have their formatting corrected, and your editing can be optionally cleaned
Sigil 1.4.0 new features:
- Two different types of Multiple Language Spellchecking support added:
- A user can now specify a Primary and a Secondary Language dictionary for real-time spellchecking (red squiggley underline).
- The Spellcheck Dialog will now support spell checking as determined by xml:lang and lang attributes in any languages with dictionaries
- Main UI icons now use scalable svg files to better serve higher res displays. All provided by BeckyEbook (ala BeckyDTP). A huge Thank You! to BeckyEbook
- New brighter Sigil Application Icon is now being used.
- Alternate Sigil main Application Icon now available as a build-time option
- Sigil now provides 3 different Icon Themes for the user: Main, Fluent, and Material. Again all thanks goes to BeckyEbook for creating/collecting all of the icon themes!
- Sigil will now support a custom user-determined Icon theme via a custom .rcc file.
- pre-made icon themes for Legacy and Material themes in different base colors are now available with more user-contributed theme files to hopefully come. Again Thank BeckyEbook!
- checkout https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/IconThemes for more information and additional themes
- New main toolbar icons are now available and improved icon groupings have been made to provide the user with a greater degree of toolbar customization. Users may need to drag and drop icon grouping and modify their selections of Toolbars to see some of these new options.
- Improved support for IRI (international) hrefs. OPF newly added file manifest ids now converted to plain ascii to prevent issues with older readers
- Fix bugs in Marking for Index
- Perform major URL en/decode refactoring to properly handle '#' (and other reserved chars) in file names
- Translate "Table of Contents" using book language not ui langauge
- Fix handling of links when using Add Existing on xhtml files with links to other xhtml files
- Fix split code to better handle duplicate target ids that reside in different files
- Bug fixes for the plugin interface from wrCisco (Thank you!)
- Bug fixes for the plugin interface setguide from BeckyDTP (Thank you!)
- Fix bug in OPF parsing when valid but non-traditional namespace prefixes are used
- Fix rare off by one condition in clip number to clip enditor model conversion
Sigil 1.4.1 fixed bugs:
- critical bug fix for over xml encoding html used inside metadata in the opf
- return use of ctrl-f to its long standing functionality
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware