For years, it seemed as if SoundExchange, the nonprofit organization that handles royalty payments for musicians whose work is streamed over the Internet and broadcast on satellite radio networks, didn"t know. The group insists that it tried hard to find the choir and about 9,000 other artists who still hadn"t been paid. A few months ago, SoundExchange posted the list on its Web site, giving artists a deadline of Dec. 15 before they lose their money forever.
Some people have criticized SoundExchange saying it has sat on its hands. Who, they ask, doesn"t know that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is in Utah? And how hard can it be to find the Olsen twins? The list has received a lot of publicity online, and the Olsens, the Mormons and others have been paid, but not without criticism directed at SoundExchange.
After a quick glance, the following artists were still on this list:
* Clint Mansel, from Requiem For A Dream soundtrack
* Coolio, from Gangsta"s Paradise fame
* Fat Joe, the fat one
* Flintstones, Hanna-Barbera Productions might know
* "N Sync, Justin Timberlake might know
* Run D.M.C., MTV and/or Aerosmith might know
* Sir Mix-a-lot, MTV knows where the booty is shaking
* Ugly Kid Joe, the Cats In The Cradle robbers