Spybot - Search & Destroy is an anti-malware application designed for on-access and on-demand scanning and removal of various kinds of malware, including spyware, adware, hijackers and trojan horses. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies.
If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer. Spybot-S&D can also clean usage tracks, an interesting function if you share your computer with other users and don't want them to see what you have been working on. And for professional users, Spybot-S&D allows you to fix some registry inconsistencies and extended reports.
A few highlights of the release candidate are:
- Extended white-listing identification for File Scanner and Start-up Tools
- New Protected Repair Environment allows to run all Spybot - Search & Destroy tools in a separate and secure desktop
- Full Scan runs faster through files in your download directory
- Separate File Scanner can now handle huge folders
- Fixed problems with Cleaner on reboot
- Added Russian localization
- Included is a Professional Edition Test License (valid for 2 months)