For the last couple of weeks, Microsoft has been teasing a new update for its Sticky Notes app, which brings it to version 3.0. Today, the app update is available for Windows Insiders on the Skip Ahead subset of the Fast ring.
Most notably, your notes can now sync across devices. Upon launching the new app, you'll be prompted to sign into your Microsoft account; however, if it's not entirely obvious, all of the synced devices will need to be on Skip Ahead. Eventually, Sticky Notes will be coming to iOS and Android as well, so those will sync with your PC.
And of course, there's a dark theme. Well, it's a dark themed note called Charcoal Note. As you can tell from the images, there's nothing dark about the app itself.
And then there are features to help clean up cluttered notes, performance improvements, accessibility improvements, and more. Here's the full changelog:
- Sync (& backup) your notes across your Windows devices.
- If you have a lot of notes, your desktop can get a bit crowded! We are introducing a new home for all your notes. You can choose which notes to stick to your desktop or tuck them away and find them again easily with search.
- Before all the beautiful sunshine arrived, we channeled our dark energy into a dark themed note: Charcoal Note.
- Crossing tasks off feel better than deleting them! Now you can style your note with the new formatting bar.
- You may notice that Sticky Notes is performing a lot faster – that is completely on purpose.
- We’ve applied so much polish that the app is starting to look like a shiny pony!
- Drastic improvements on being more inclusive:
- Using assistive technologies and Narrator.
- Keyboard navigation.
- Using mouse, touch, and pen.
- High Contrast.
Since this is only for the Skip Ahead ring, that means that your PC will have to be testing a build from the 19H1 development branch, which is the version of Windows 10 that will follow Redstone 5. It comes as an app update though, so this might show up as an app update for production users anyway. After all, inbox app updates should be frozen for the Fast ring at this point.
You can update your Sticky Notes app here.