Remember 2012 when PSY was the number one "thing" on YouTube? The video for his song "Gangnam Style" became the first clip on YouTube to surpass 1 billion views and it remains the number one video clip of all time on the site, generating 1.8 billion views as of this writing.
Well, it looks like PSY is on top of the most viewed music videos of 2013 as well. YouTube has released a list of the top 10 music videos of the year and "GENTLEMAN M/V" from the pop singer is number one, with close to 600 million views.
Heres the top 10 music video list of 2013 on YouTube. You might notice that aside from PSY, the other nine videos come from the VEVO music network, which posts the official videos from many of the worlds biggest pop artists:
1. PSY - "GENTLEMAN M/V" by officialpsy
2. Miley Cyrus - "Wrecking Ball" by MileyCyrusVEVO
3. Miley Cyrus - "We Cant Stop" by MileyCyrusVEVO
4. Katy Perry - "Roar (Official)" by KatyPerryVEVO
5. P!nk - "Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess" by PinkVEVO
6. Robin Thicke - "Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell" by RobinThickeVEVO
7. Rihanna - "Stay ft. Mikky Ekko" by RihannaVEVO
8. Naughty Boy - "La La La ft. Sam Smith" by NaughtyBoyVEVO
9. Selena Gomez - "Come & Get It" by SelenaGomezVEVO
10. Avicii - "Wake Me Up (Official Video)" by AviciiOfficialVEVO
While PSY may be the number one music video maker on YouTube, the site also has a separate list of the top 10 "trending" videos; in other words, clips that were not meant to generate lots of views but went ahead and did so anyway. In this case, the catchy video for the pop song "The Fox (What Does The Fox Say) by Ylivs became the top trending YouTube video of 2013 with over 275 million views.
Heres the full top 10 trending video list of the year including the original "Harlem Shake" clip, that cool Jean Claude Van Damme split ad for Volvo Trucks and more:
1. Ylvis - "The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)" by tvnorge
2. "Harlem Shake (original army edition)" by kennethaakonsen
3. "How Animals Eat Their Food" | MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann
4. "Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version)" by SteveKardynal
5. "baby&me / the new evian film" by EvianBabies
6. Volvo Trucks - "The Epic Split feat. Van Damme" by VolvoTrucks
7. "YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar)" by thelonelyisland
8. "Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise" by CarrieNYC
9. "THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading" by BadLipReading
10. "Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2" by ERB
As they did in 2012, YouTube got a ton of their most popular video creators together to make a new clip (posted above) that celebrated the pop culture trends on the site in 2013.