Right on schedule, Microsoft has released its weekly build of the Chromium-based Edge browser to insiders using the Dev channel. As promised last week, this is the first version of Edge to be based on Chromium 79, but it doesn't actually come with a lot of new features.
This week's release is version 79.0.279.0, and there's only a handful of new features, which include a keyboard shortcut to mute tabs on macOS:
- Enabled the static certificate pinning feature that was originally available in Chrome.
- Added a keyboard shortcut to mute tabs on Mac.
- Added support for hyphenated words when performing single-word intranet searches.
As usual, Microsoft lists two kinds of improvements - some focused on stability and others focused on behavior. For stability, there's fixes for Application Guard sessions failing to start and Netflix DRM protection causing the browser to crash:
- Fixed an issue where watching DRM video like Netflix causes some devices to freeze.
- Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes crash when watching certain videos.
- Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where using ctrl+F to find something on a webpage while certain things on the page are highlighted leads to a crash.
- Fixed some issues with Application Guard sessions not starting.
- Fixed an issue where navigation in Application Guard windows doesn’t work.
As for improved behavior, there's a considerable list of improvements:
- Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes don’t show all contents properly.
- Fixed an issue where the autosuggest popup appears on fields where it shouldn’t.
- Fixed an issue where a collection that’s deleted in one browser window isn’t immediately deleted from other browser windows.
- Fixed an issue where the translation popup didn’t have a button to close it.
- Fixed some issues when adding or deleting words in the spellcheck dictionary.
- Fixed an issue where using the keyboard shortcut to open the downloads page on an IE mode tab opens Edge’s downloads, not IE’s.
- Fixed an issue where opening the downloads page on an IE mode tab sometimes doesn’t open it in the foreground.
- Fixed an issue where installing IE mode sites as apps doesn’t properly show the site’s icon.
- Fixed an issue where the new tab button is invisible on Windows 7 if the Aero theme is used.
- Fixed an issue where the loading spinner shows up unexpectedly on items in collections.
The latest build should install automatically soon enough, but you can also manually check for updates in the browser's settings if you don't want to wait. As of the time of writing, the update doesn't seem to actually show up on our test devices.