VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.
Changes between 2.2.0 and 2.2.1:
- Fix compilation with older libavcodec versions
- Fix some VP9 decoding
- Fix flac crashes
- Fix lpcm channel ordering
- Fix potential NULL dereference in dmo
- Fix teletext framing code in DVB PES packets
- Fix potential buffer overflow in schroendinger decoder
- Fix AAC samplerate
- Fix MP4 chapters
- Fix MKV overseeking, introducing slowness over network shares
- Fix crash when playing SPC files
- Fix ATRAC3 playback in MKV
- Revert to older ASX code
- Workaround TS issue with mpeg-audio
- Fix sftp read and close sockets
- Fix DTV build with Linux DVB versions < 5.8
- Fix UDP/RTP input on Windows
- Fix Alsa HDMI plugs
- Improve Alsa output, with larger buffers
- Fix DirectSound output with multi-channel files
There are literally hundreds of other improvements, so check out the release notes for more details.