WhatsApp has introduced a new update that gives users more control over their wallpaper preferences, allowing them to set different wallpapers for individual chats.
Previously, WhatsApp allowed users to set one wallpaper that was applied across all the chats. Starting today, WhatsApp will allow users to set wallpapers for individual chats. The announcement came just after the company introduced new wallpapers for the IM app.
Beautiful new wallpapers coming to WhatsApp, including custom chat wallpapers... pic.twitter.com/26bhVXzDZ3— WhatsApp Inc. (@WhatsApp) December 9, 2020
If you are looking to set separate wallpapers for individual chats then you can follow the steps below:
- Open WhatsApp and select a contact
- Click on the three dots on the top right corner and select "Wallpaper". You will now see your current wallpaper.
- Click on "Change" and select a wallpaper from WhatsApp's gallery or click on "My Photos" to select a custom wallpaper from your gallery
- Click on "Set Wallpaper" at the bottom of the screen and then select "For this chat"
- Click "OK" and the wallpaper will be applied
Along with wallpapers for individual chats, WhatsApp will also allow users to set different wallpapers for both light and dark themes. Lastly, the company also introduced a wallpaper dimming option that will allow users to select the brightness of the selected wallpaper. If you switch between light and dark themes on WhatsApp and want separate wallpapers, then you can follow the steps below:
- Open WhatsApp and select three dots on the top right corner
- Navigate to Settings > Chats > Wallpaper and select "Change"
- Select a Wallpaper from WhatsApp's gallery or use a custom one from your gallery
- Click on "Set Wallpaper" at the bottom of the preview wallpaper screen and the wallpaper will be applied to your current theme
If you want different wallpapers for different themes, then you can go to Settings > Chats > Theme and toggle between Dark and Light theme. Once done, you can follow the aforementioned steps to set a wallpaper for the selected theme.
WhatsApp users can try out the new features after downloading the latest app update. Android users can download the new update from the Google Play Store while iOS users can head to the App Store to download the latest update.