After the most recent Xbox One Insider Preview, build 17712, fixed an issue causing a factory refresh on all consoles it was installed on, Microsoft has decided to promote version 1810 to the Preview Alpha ring. The move makes little sense, as Skip Ahead Insiders only got about three days of skipping ahead of anything.
Microsoft first announced Skip Ahead for Xbox Insiders on June 7. The first build arrived on July 2, and that allowed Alpha ring users to skip ahead of what was currently in testing at the time, version 1806. However, Xbox One version 1806 was released just three days later.
While enrollment in the brand new Skip Ahead subset of the Alpha ring was limited and is now closed, it would appear that those that missed the window haven't missed out on a single thing. Not one new feature was introduced in that time, and now the new build is available for the standard Alpha ring. Indeed, one really must wonder why Microsoft bothered to introduce Skip Ahead for Xbox at all.
Today's build is 17712.2002, so it's a serviced version of the one from four days ago.
The announcement doesn't even list any new fixes, but there are a bunch of known issues:
- We are tracking an issue with various headsets and mics not working in the build such as Turtle Beach wireless headsets. Connecting multiple headsets along with more than one input device on the system (physical controllers, game streaming controllers, wireless headsets), will cause headsets to no longer work.
- Workaround: Disconnect all input and audio devices, including controllers, wired and wireless headsets, and game streaming controllers. Once they have been disconnected, connect only one controller and one headset.
- We are tracking an issue where users are reporting that various keys & controller shortcuts for the virtual keyboard are not being recognized. Certain keys (spacebar, @ symbol, – symbol) are not registering when being pressed on the keyboard (both the virtual keyboard and via a USB keyboard)
- We are tracking an issue with users not being able to select/change options under Device power options in Device Control. When users are attempting to change their power toggle settings, no options are being presented.
Game Pass Tab
- Preview Alpha – Skip Ahead users will notice that the Entertainment tab has been replaced on the dashboard with Game Pass content. This new tab allows for easy access to the Game Pass catalog and is only available in the US region at this time, so Preview Alpha Skip Ahead Insiders in regions outside of the US will continue to see the Entertainment tab.
- You may see issues with Groups if you frequently switch between your non-Preview console and your Preview console.
- Workaround: Reset your Groups locally on the Preview console through “My games & apps” > Groups, then using the “Delete all groups” button at the bottom of the page to resync from the service.
- The cursor may disappear when exiting and re-entering the app
- Workaround: Press Y when re-entering the app to make the cursor re-appear
- Sometimes users may encounter an incorrect Profile color when powering on the console.
- When the console wakes from Instant on/connected standby with a wired connection, the console may not recognize that the Ethernet cable is plugged in.
- Workaround: Please reboot the console via Guide -> reboot.
Version 1810 is what you'd call a major feature update, as it aligns with the next feature update for Windows 10, also known as Redstone 5. According to the version number, the update should be finalized in October.