YouTube has announced several new features for YouTube Music on smart TVs, they include being able to access saved playlists and liked songs and improved artwork making it easier to find the music you like. Today’s announcement follows several YouTube Music integration announcements for smart displays, Google Maps, Waze, and Google's various speakers.
There are several new features launching today. Features available on all smart TVs include:
- Enjoy your music library: Easily access your saved playlists and liked songs in your library, right in the YouTube Music tab within your YouTube app on your TV.
- Find the music you love: Updated visuals to showcase album and playlist artwork in their best form, making it easy to find the music you love.
If you have an Android TV OS device or the new Chromecast with Google TV, you’ll also benefit from the following additions:
- Access your uploads: Upload songs to your YouTube Music library from your computer, and access them on the big screen.
- Listen and look on TVs: A new playback interface now includes information like the song and artist name, and a progress bar as music plays.
- Explore tunes on your home screen: On devices with the Android TV home screen, you’ll see an all new YouTube Music row to help you find your next song - from old classics to new hits.
Google said it’s not going to stop with these updates; in the coming months, it will allow YouTube Music Premium users to continue playing music in the background even if they’ve exited the app, similar to the mobile app’s functionality. If you’ve not used YouTube Music yet, Google says you can find it in the YouTube app on smart TVs.