MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters.
There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
Additionally MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion to wide range of players, so you may watch Blu-ray and DVD discs with your favorite player on your favorite OS or on your favorite device.
- Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
- Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
- Preserves chapters information
- Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
- Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.
- No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
- Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
- All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
MakeMKV 1.15.3 Beta changelog:
Massive internal rewrite, many bugfixes
Improved handling for discs with mastering errors
Brand new network code, it is now possible to set proxy server in preferences, to access network over TOR/VPN
MakeMKV now can extract Dolby Vision metadata from elementary stream data and rebuild missing or invalid DV descriptors
Drive speed control update - MakeMKV now forces low speed when reading data around disc edges, working around firmware bugs
Program could hang or crash when converting files with many audio streams
On some multi-segment sources with LPCM audio program failed to produce MKV file
Program could crash when producing testdump or when conversion failed
On 32-bit x86 system program could run out of memory on big mult-segment sources
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware