Amazon announced the launch of a Kindle app for the BlackBerry today. Titled Kindle for BlackBerry, the free application allows users to access more than 420,000 Kindle books on select BlackBerry devices (no Kindle required). If you do own a Kindle, however, the app will synchronize your last page read between devices with Whispersync technology.
According to Amazon's press release, the Kindle for BlackBerry app allows customers to:
- Search and browse more than 420,000 books, including 102 of 112 New York Times Bestsellers, directly from their BlackBerry
- Shop the in-app store for an optimized Kindle shopping experience - browse and download samples and full books without leaving the app
- Read the beginning of books for free before they buy
- Access their library of previously purchased Kindle books stored on Amazon's servers
- Automatically synchronize the last page read between their Kindle-compatible devices
- Create bookmarks and view annotations they created on their Kindle, Kindle DX, or Kindle for iPhone and iPod touch
- Adjust the text size of books
- Read books in full color, including children's books, cookbooks, travel books, textbooks and graphic novels
Kindle for BlackBerry is currently available for the Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Curve 8520, Curve 8900, Storm 9530, Storm 9550, and Tour 9630. The application is available for free at http://www.amazon.com/kindlebb or type "amazon.com/kindlebb" in your BlackBerry browser to download the app.