Ransomware is a type of malware that prevents or limits users from accessing their system. To make the infected system usable again, the victim is forced to pay (a ransom) to a remote threat actor thru certain online payment methods. Users may encounter this threat through different means. They can either download ransomware unwittingly by visiting malicious or compromised websites. It can also arrive as a payload, either dropped or downloaded by other malware. It is important to note, however, that paying for the ransom does not guarantee that users can eventually access the infected system.
Trend Micro has developed a special tool in order to address this problem. Trend Micro AntiRansomware Tool 2.0 is a free program designed to perform a quick system scan in order to identify and remove ransomware from an infected computer.
Below are indications that your computer is infected by a ransomware:
- Getting pop-up messages telling that your computer has been locked
- Getting pop-up messages demanding payment before you can access your files and programs
What's new in this version:
- Fixed issue in ICE Ransomware cleanup
- Implement process protect mechanism to prevent the tool from being killed by ransomware.
- Note: WinXP x64, Win2003 x64 are not supported by this feature.
- Less strict terms/rules to determine whether a file is a malware or not. As long as the file in registry autorun key has no digital signature, it will show suspicious. Because of this feature, the user should fix items on AR Tool carefully.
Note: This tool can be installed on Safe Mode with Networking. Also through USB on Regular Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt.