Microsoft Windows Communications Manager, Brandon LeBlanc, has announced that availability for the Windows 7 beta download has been extended until February 10th, 2009. Microsoft noted that they have extended the availability as "enthusiasm continues to be so high for the Windows 7 Beta and we don't want anyone to miss out we will keep the Beta downloads open through February 10th".
If you haven't started downloading the beta, you only have a few weeks left. The company announced that it's plan to end availability will be the result of a three phase strategy.
* Starting January 27th, the Windows 7 page will be updated with a warning that time is running out on downloading the Windows 7 Beta and that we will be limiting downloads shortly. People will be encouraged to register and start the download of the Windows 7 Beta sooner rather than later.
* February 10th, new downloads of the Windows 7 Beta will no longer be available. People who have already started their Windows 7 Beta download and have not yet finished will still be able to finish their download and are encouraged to do so.
* February 12th, people will no longer be able to complete their download of the Windows 7 Beta. Anyone who hasn't finished downloading the Windows 7 Beta will be unable to do so.
Brandon LeBlanc also noted that product keys for the Windows 7 beta will be available beyond the February 12th shut down date. The dates mentioned above do not apply to MSDN and TechNet subscribers. If you've missed our coverage of the new features in Windows 7, check out the links below.
- Windows 7 beta quick review
- Windows 7: Windows Backup Overview
- Windows 7: Explorer Search overview
- Windows 7: Superbar overview
- Windows 7: HomeGroup Overview
- Windows 7: BitLocker To Go & Biometric improvements overview
- Windows 7: Easy Connect
- Windows 7: Problem Steps Recorder
- Windows 7: Action Center Overview
- Windows 7: User Account Control (UAC) Overview
- Windows 7: Calibate Your Display
- Windows 7: Federated Search
- Windows 7: Device Stage
- Windows 7: Internet Explorer 8 Overview