Bill Gates: Windows 8 is a foundation for the future

In an interview today, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates said his children have "never asked" to use Apple devices.

In a new interview with Fox Business Network today, Bill Gates called Windows 8 the “the foundation for the future” of operating systems at Microsoft and said his children don’t ask to use Apple products.

That’s what Bill Gates told Fox Business Network today in an interview that took place at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. When asked about ultrabooks, Gates implied Microsoft’s Surface tablet is a better choice as it solves the dilemma of whether users want a tablet or a laptop. He also called Windows 8 the company’s future.

“The way they have built touch in, the way they have the application store – it’s off to quite a good start,” he said. “You know, making sure they have more – the best applications, more applications, you know – they’re on a really good trajectory.”

Elsewhere in Gates’ interview with Fox Business Network, he said his children have never asked for Apple products, despite a recent interview to the contrary with his wife, Melinda.

“Well, they never asked, so I don’t know [if they want to use Apple products],” he said. “It would be interesting if they did ask, but they love their Windows Phones and they love their Windows PCs.”

In an interview with U.K. radio station Radio 4 last month, Melinda Gates had said her children sometimes ask for Apple products but that she and her husband only allow Windows devices in their house.

Additionally, in a 2010 interview with The New York Times Melinda Gates said, “Nothing [Apple] crosses the threshold of our doorstep.”

Source: Fox Business Network | Image via Microsoft

Enterprise app developer claims continued Windows 8 success

Will Microsoft not offer pre-orders for Surface Pro before Feb. 9th?

Good Anthony Tosie. Some Neowin editor idiots would have put as the title: "Bill Gates: His children don't ask to use Apple products" just to get more hits and stir up a flamewar in here

Is it really the best "foundation?" Depends on who you ask. Consumer tablets, probably. Business laptops/desktops, no. Pity, Microsoft seems to have failed to see the two types of users and decided to service only one of them.

Brian Miller said,
Well, since you have a PhD in HCI, I am guessing you are actually qualified to make that professional assessment.
You don't need a PhD for that.. All you need is patience and time. A lot of people don't give it a fair chance..

TruckWEB said
Gates : Windows 8 is crap, but it's the foundation for a much better Win 9...
Windows 9 is actually going to incorporate more of the Modern UI, just sayin'..

I don't know about you, but I think something that does improve on the previous product and adds new features is better than the last yet. Yet you call Windows 8 crap..

Windows 9 is actually going to incorporate more of the Modern UI, just sayin'..

I am quite confident that W9 will improve the Metro experience. I hope that, among other things, it will be more customizable.
Personally I would be very happy if MS would offer an OS with the graphics as portrayed in the Office 2017 or whatever the clip was called.

Bern@rd said,
My children will also never use Apple, Google, BlackBerry or Dropbox.

My child use what she prefers; I have a daughter not a clone.... Thanks God.

If he thinks more of the Modern UI is going to help Microsoft, Microsoft is going to keep sinking. The Modern UI isn't what people want. They can make all the deals they want, but they'll float into obscurity if they don't hold on to the desktop. Apple is finally starting to catch up with everything they need to provide on IOS and judging from sales the Iphone5 is starting to wane. I think Apple is going to start coming back to the desktop platform. Linux is getting more and more coverage on the tech sites. I wish Microsoft would buy StarDock. Everything I liked about Windows was on Windows 7 and they cut a lot of it out of Windows 8. Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are part of a tech world that is constantly producing more and more options. They are acting like this tonal shift isn't happening and that they are still just up against Apple (and only paying mild attention to Google's encroaching presence.) They need to stop relying on this half-assed style and start providing more utility. Both Google and Apple have a lot of what Microsoft doesn't right now and that isn't even the biggest problem. Apple and Google are working on services Microsoft hasn't even begun yet and that isn't even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is they are wasting their time on a style that they are still trying to justify after AT LEAST half of the tech sites have told them it isn't very good. It seems like they can't take "No" for an answer and are going to waste their time still trying to justify what they are doing, while everyone else just passes on by. This is the same thing that has happened with Nintendo. They could make a cellphone with a couple of buttons and a directional pad (like people were kind of hoping for) and all the retro games on it and make a fortune, instead they made the WiiU a sequel to the Wii that looks like a poorly designed tablet. You know what people are going to do? They are just going to buy a nice looking tablet that has plenty of apps on it. And this same thing might happen with the PS4 and XBOX720. The tablet is going to eat up a lot of that business.

Pulagatha said
The Modern UI isn't what people want.
Guess what? In 1995 there were plenty of people who were p.i.s.s.e.d off at Microsoft for changing the way they used Windows when they introduced the Start Menu and the Taskbar, etc. Over time, people grew to love the features once they got used to it. That's the exact same thing here today.

Pulagatha said
It's still there.

Pulagatha said
Linux is getting more and more coverage on the tech sites.
Your point being, what..?

Pulagatha said
Like what? Can you be specific.

Pulagatha said
It's actually not half-assed but okay...

Pulagatha said
Tech. sites don't determine what is good and what isn't. I couldn't give a rats ass whether CNET told me that OS X was the best OS ever, or if Android Police told me that Android was the best. All the tech. sites job really is, is to provide the news and let the viewers make their own decisions based on their own needs & wants.

Pulagatha said
The tablet is going to eat up a lot of that business.
Did you know that Microsoft made a tablet that can provide the best of both worlds. Windows 8 lets the user play with apps on the Start Screen or work on the Desktop. Having the option to do both at any time on one device is a really great concept of tablet computing, and to me that blows away the iPad.

No, the exact same thing isn't happening to today that happened in 1995. This is a different problem altogether. If it were the same thing people wouldn't be complaining about it now because they would have complained about it in 1995. I didn't say I didn't like The Surface. I think if it's fine tuned it could be everything Microsoft needs it to be. For some reason the thing that bothers me about The Surface is the ports not having a cover around the edge and the therefore the edge of each port becoming easily scratched. I think it would make it look more pristine if each port's edge had a guard around it. They've already done a pretty good job, but it's about precision. Tech sites are very informative. Microsoft doesn't tell people what is good, Apple doesn't tell people what's good, the people who take a non-partisan attitude choose the best product. The Modern UI I think is half-assed because they rushed it out of the door. It feel like it needs improvement. They could start by removing the word "Start" from the Start Screen or implementing some form of transparency or something that signifies the hidden chrome like how on certain programs the controls show up if you simply touch the screen, maybe with a button appearing instead? Also, pages within the Modern UI interface that cut off and leave room for one fourth of the next page is absurd. There was an article a few days ago about how they are trying even more so with the next iteration of Windows to remove the desktop. What I liked about Windows 7? The Aero Glass. The Start Menu was okay, it's better than the Start Screen in my opinion, but still could use improvement. A lot of the complaints I have about Windows 7 Steven Sinofsky listed on his blog and none of them seemed major. What worries me is the idea of style and how that is sort of an abstract concept where someone can never have an absolute definition as to why it's wrong and therefore spend a lot of time thinking they don't have a problem on there hands. Speaking of which, Linux is something that is gaining Steam (literally and figuratively) and the only way Microsoft can differentiate from other operating systems is providing the most utility with the most constructive style. I don't think the Modern UI is fully thought out and I don't think they are providing the most utility. You know now that I remembered to mention it one of the things I'd like to see is more of an implementation of customizable interfaces. Maybe like the same way VLC lets users customize their controls, while playing video? Microsoft could do the same with a window specifically for customizing controls. They already implement some form of this with the buttons in the title bar and the ribbon toolbar which seems to need an overhaul anyway.

Pulagatha said
No, the exact same thing isn't happening to today that happened in 1995.
Wrong.

Pulagatha said
Disagree. I think it's great because it functions better than the Start menu did and it allows you to pin as many apps/folders as you want which was not possible before.

Pulagatha said
Do you have any proof of an article. I heard an article that mentioned that the Taskbar in Windows 9 would be more incorporated with the Modern UI.

Pulagatha said
They still have a long way to go yet though. I use Linux as well but I'm a realist and I from what I see, they have two obstacles: Windows, OS X and smartphones (besides Android).

Win 8 is an utter failure. The forcing of an ms account+a hidden hotmail account, which isin't wanted. Some of us are happy with what email account we have. MS just close my hotmail as i like what i got. If i wanted hotmail i would've signed up for one(i had one like 15 yrs ago). The forcing of validing who we are before browsing the net is utter bull.

soldier1st said,

A MS account DOES NOT REQUIRE a HOTMAIL account, hidden or NOT. You can use donkeyblower@gmail.com as your Microsoft account email address.

Unlike Google, you are not force to use additional services nor are you signed up for services that you don't use.

PERIOD.

I have two MAIN Microsoft Accounts, and both are me@mydomain and use my email servers.

thenetavenger said,

Must have changed recently then, I've had a few custom domain email addresses for years which I used on MSN messenger and it has given me hotmail automatically that I couldn't get rid of with a message of 'change your dns to blah blah', doesn't force you to use hotmail as your email provider but it forced me to have a hotmail account.

n_K said,

A Microsoft account comes with various free services. You do automatically get a mailbox as well as a cloud space. However they are compleetly optional. If you dont log into outlook or skydrive you will never be bothered with these services and you can use the account for what you intended to use it (Xbox, app purchases, etc).

soldier1st said,

oh man....you are so misinformed...

soldier1st said,

I think you are getting Microsoft confused with Google. I have two Microsoft accounts (work and personal) and 0 hotmail accounts.

soldier1st said,

ya cause on my old android I was able to use my Hotmail to access the store, AND my youtube account doesn't come with a G+ Account.

soldier1st said
Win 8 is an utter failure.
You couldn't of been more wrong.

soldier1st said
The forcing of an ms account+a hidden hotmail account, which isin't wanted.
They don't force you to use a Microsoft account.. Have you even *tried* Windows 8 at all?

You clearly are misinformed and don't have a clue about the things you mentioned..

You think Microsoft's bad. Wait 'til you try Google..

You couldn't of been more wrong.

You think Microsoft's bad. Wait 'til you try Google..

Do not you need a MS account to use Calendar and People apps?
I use Outlook but if I remember correctly you need an account to use those apps.

Fritzly said
Do not you need a MS account to use Calendar and People apps?
I think you can use login using your Facebook, Google, Hotmail, LinkedIn, Outlook, or Twitter account. I can't confirm that because I've only used my Microsoft account..

As for the Calendar app, you can use your Google account if you don't use a Microsoft account.

Thanks I will give it a try..... out of curiosity....

I think windows has the best OS amongst all. iOS and Android tend to crash a lot. honestly never had a single crash on my Lumia 900, let alone new ones which are NT based. Yes iOS and android has more and arguably better apps but it wont last long.

S3P€hR said,

Sounds like your putting garbage on your phone, so it is crashing alot, but you seem to do just fine on ur ms phone.

soldier1st said,

I've had quite some issues too last year on my Android. I quite regulary see people restarting their androids and iphones. So far only had 1 little issue with my 920, which was Whatsapp crashing and I just restarted the phone.

S3P€hR said
Actually iOS is among the top in stability, along with WP and Android is really stable too but it's got more lag issues than iOS & WP combined..

MikeInBA said,
Bet me: In 5 years Google and Apple will both have OSs with some form of licensed "Live Tile" interface.

If they do lets hope they implement it correctly so that it doesn't turn into this huge stinking mess like the one microsoft is currently trying very hard to cover up, even going as far as getting Bill gates to say something good about it in public.

MikeInBA said,

LMAO! They are called widgets, and Google had them first. Oh yea, they aren't just a single ugly ****ing color...

I swear, the people that actually LIKE windows8 / windows phone *must* be color blind. They are ****ing hideous.

runningnak3d said,

The difference between a widget and a tile is that a tile is function-based and a widget is app-based. The difference has a massive impact on the end-user experience. My startscreen really is me. I have tiles for my favorite tv shows that inform me when the next episode will air and how many episodes I've missed. I have transportation tiles that tell me whether or not there is a delay on my favorite trajects. Windows Phone rules, I've tried Apple and I've tried Android but nothing comes close to how I feel about my WP!!!

Widgets is not a live tile , can u click a widget to open the app ?
Widget is gr8 in its own way , and so is the live tile.

Btw if u think widgets was invented by Google , then u are wrong sir ... Have u heard of something called as desktop gadgets , which is what a widget is , except that desktop gadgets existed way before android came to life.

Live tiles are not widgets .
They function very different.
Oh and widgets especially androids are craps bin bull****s.

runningnak3d said,

OMG, they were originally called Active Desktop Objects, that started in Windows 95 w/IE4 and Windows 98. You now call them Widgets or Gadgets, but Microsoft FREAKING MOVED ON.

Get over yourself.

Order_66 said,

For a first gen touch product, I think it works fine...tho I dont like it either. But here is what is good about it. If you have a touch screen then you can interact just like it was a large smartphone. It gives the foundation for x86 apps to also evolve to the same plateau. In order to build touch apps, you need a touch OS just as APple did. Again for a first run OS that has always been mouse and keyboard centric they made the right approach.

Since I can speak from a dev angle based on experience I can almost guess why they chose this approach.

The concept was to take the most common functions of Windows and make them touch centric. The next step was to still have the ability to use the 2 most fundement pieceso of hardware in WIndows..mouse and keyboard. How do you have both? You take the start menu and make it capable of handling touch. The icons ate still the same, but are a box to show proportion and style. Not just flat boring static array of icons like on Android or iOS or the Windows we are use too. They could have just taken the regular Windows desktop and make it accept touch commands, but whats the fun in that? The start menu was the only feature in Windows thayt could be made touch friendly. Adding the ability to have smartphone like apps made for tablets is the other benefit. Like Windows Phone, having smaller apps that just have the bare info like Facebook, Twitter and similar; means you dont have ot launch a full desktop app. This approach is better for tablets, but ;lets just say I dont want to buy a tablet. That mobile devices beyond my smartphone is not something I want. Suppos ei want my desktop to be my stationary tablet. Why can't i have the same info at a glance or smaller app I can open or favorite game i can play that doesnt take up 5GB of space? That is fun to play, that I can use my finger? Angry Birds looks just as cool on my 22" display as it does on my smartphone. At least I can see the whole screen on a single screen and not shrink it or slide it to view what I want.

The problem with people like you is simple. You get so use to something being one way, that you can't think outside the box to accept something different. To find everything wrong with it, instead of spending equal time seeing the benefits. Right now I can fine 5 things i dont like about my car that I paid $25000 for, but since 95 things are good, isnt that enough to consider it worthy of purchase? You make it sound that just because Windows 8 isnt perfect it should exist. The point is to get people to use it, make their complaints to Microsoft so when the next OS comes, it can have worthy things added that will make the experience better.

But taking cheap shots at a first gen concept where MS made a radical change from the Windows we are use to is just dumb. If Apple had done this you;d be all over them saying how innovative they are and how MS should be that way. Now they have done it and all you do is whine saying its bad.

It isnt bad. You're just not open minded enough to accept the change and all u se is bad. I dont like Windows 8 that much either. But what I did so is I spent the $40 and said. Hey...at least when Windows 7 isnt supported anymore...i will have gotten Windows 8 for $40 as oppose to millions of idiots who will end up paying full price starting next month. For $40 I dont think I came out all that bad. I got the latest supported OS...I got Media Center for free...and it works on my present and computers as old as 2005 without a hitch. I have an IBM ThinkPad that came with XP in 2007 and it runs Windows 8 like it was installed at factory.

Yes the UI is very colorful, yes it is kinda kiddish. It is a pain to work between the skin and the desktop. Yes its a chore to load a web page in the skin then have to relaod it in the desktop side. Yes the start menu is pretty big compared to what we were use too. But that is the point. For 3 decades we were use to Windows being boring...now it is coming alive where you can touch it and move to the next phase of Windows today...and all you can do is whine and tell the whole world how much you dont like it. So what you dont like it. You dont have to buy it. But we dont need to see you opinion of hate. Most of you who come here that si all u guys do.

60M people cant be wrong about Windows 8. 12M+ people cant be wrong about Windows Phone 8. Dont liek it, keep your money in your pocket. We wont care and we dont care to hear your opinion. I dont like Windows 8 either. But there are some things I do see that for $40 bucks I can complain about. Its faster, its different, it didnt cost to much. It was a lack luster upgrade from Windows 7. Much like what APple has been doing with OS X for the past decade. A nice Windows PC for $700 runnign WIndows 8 where u can touch it vs a MAc that cost $1700 that all u can do is look at...I'd say Windows has the better option. Apple doesnt even have anything remotely close. And for APple to make something better, they need a reference as they have NEVER made anything great from scratch. They borrow ideas. At least Windows 8 is fairly original.

Wait, what? Google invented the widget? I don't thinks so. DesktopX was my first experience with widgets and that was around long before Android or any kind of Google OS. It probably wasn't the first, either, but I'm not going to bother researching it because for the point of this discussion Google absolutely did not come up with widgets by a long shot, and that's all the really matters. Also, Active Desktop sucked, but I suppose you could say that it evolved into widgets. Windows Vista with its sidebar gadgets came out before Android, at which time Android wasn't owned by Google, but I think Google did by that time have their own widget engine for Windows (that I think they also acquired from another company and which they may have since discontinued).

thenetavenger said,

Get over yourself.

Did not they have a bird, a warlock and some other characters? They were interesting... at the time.

TechieXP said,

While, in general terms, I agree with your statements I have few observations:

If it was not tragic it would be comic as MS, as well as you and many other people, keep missing is the best weapon in the OS arsenal: awesome HANDWRITING CAPABILITIES!!!
Touch is a welcome addition but when I am hand-writing on my Tablet I hold the device with one hand and the stilo with the other therefore I interact using the stilo not a finger.
Still MS never exploits this unique feature of the OS; the only who always did was BG.

Also I do not agree that people are necessarily against the OS because they hate changes: if my company decides to move my office to the penthouse..... it is great; if it is moved in the basement....... well it is a different story.

Edited by Fritzly, Jan 25 2013, 11:09pm :

Order_66 said,

WHERE ARE THOSE SNO CAPS!?!?!?!?

Were you crying while you were writing that emotion diary and I"m serious

BTW, "60M people can't be wrong" -- you mean 100K people and 59.9M licenses sitting on OEM machines in warehouses collecting dust. Notice how quiet MS was in their earnings report w/ anything relating to Windows 8/RT/Pro/WP8?

Yeah.

Darrah Ford said,
Were you crying while you were writing that emotion diary and I"m serious

Yeah.

You forget that besides the 60 million licenses sold they also announced 100 million downloads. Which should give you a reasonable indication how many active users there are.

Naturally Windows 8 and WP8 arent profitable at this point, nor are the Surface figures anything to write home about. But what can you expect? They're selling Windows 8 at a lose and WP8 is given away for free to Nokia. Surface figures will Always be compared to the iPad. So for the first few years Microsoft better keep quiet. They're in it for the long-term anyway.

thenetavenger said,
OMG, they were originally called Active Desktop Objects

Wasn't it originally called "Microsoft Bob" or "Rover the dog"

Ronnet said,

No doubt, the bigger and rounder these announcement-figures are, the more desperate it comes across.

runningnak3d said,

Typical troll. Someone doesn't hate what you hate so there must be something wrong with them. What's that saying?? "Swing and a miss".

runningnak3d said,

You can always tell the young kids. Google did something MS did before google was even a thing haha. I bet GTA Is the first sandbox and Call of Duty was the first shooter game.

Fritzly said,

While, in general terms, I agree with your statements I have few observations:

What are you talking about. Windows supports handwriting out of the box. And its self learning. I've NOT seen anything like it. Especially that comes build in with an OS. My handwriting is lowsy and even though at first it barely recognizes my handwriting. But after a few days it has almost no problems reading my handwriting at all.
Its an impressive piece of OCR technology.. And its part of Windows for several years already.

dvb2000 said,

Wasn't it originally called "Microsoft Bob" or "Rover the dog"

No, you could make active websites part (or rather intergrated into) of the desktop.
There where webapps that displayed active information, and could be similary setup as todays Windows 8 start screen.
This has been part of Windows since 95.
The start screen is nothing new, its been hidden in the desktop for decades

Shadowzz said,

Before shouting about what people are,talking about you should read what people write...
I have been using a Tablet PC since 2002 and Windows XP Tablet therefore I am very well aware of the OS capabilities and I use them, extensively every day; my point was that MS keep highlighting the " touch" capabilities of the OS ONLY, and not the handwriting ones that are, IMO, more important, much more useful and UNIQUE to Tablet PCs using MS OS.
Granted if the whole Tablet project had not been a Bill Gates idea, Sinofsky and Ballmer would have killed it right away but now that everybody is talking about Tablets, and Sinofsky is finally out of the picture, MS should leverage what differentiate their OS from anything else on the market.

Ronnet said,

Yes, less than 2 app downloads per user.

Order_66 said
If they do lets hope they implement it correctly so that it doesn't turn into this huge stinking mess like the one microsoft is currently trying very hard to cover up..
How is it a mess?

runningnak3d said
Last I checked, I wasn't color blind.

Debamit Dutta said
Btw if u think widgets was invented by Google , then u are wrong sir ... Have u heard of something called as desktop gadgets , which is what a widget is, except that desktop gadgets existed way before android came to life.
I like how Android users criticize Apple every chance they get and how they always want to remind people that Apple never invented anything; YET, they will get on their high horse and try and say that Android invented everything...

To me, it sounds a little hypocritical because they complain that people think that Apple invented things yet they'll go to the ends of the earth to explain how Android "invented" everything.. Of course, not all Android users are like that. Nor do all Apple users believe that Steve Jobs invented anything.