BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean 90 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- Free of adware, spyware, and malware
- Translated to 52 languages
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features and more...
What's new in this version:
BleachBit 0.9.6 adds support for LibreOffice and includes improvements for wiping free disk space, Google Chrome, Firefox, OpenOffice.org, winapp2.ini, and more.
These are the changes since version 0.9.5:
- Improve wiping of free disk space
- Google Chrome: Fix error message no such table: keywords_backup: /home/foobar/.config/google-chrome/Default/Web Data
- Google Chrome: Fix error message Favicons is version 25
- Google Chrome: delete more cache
- Clean Apache OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
- Clean LibreOffice 4
- OpenOffice.org: if history file has not changed, do not save it
- Adobe Acrobat: use wildcards to generically support more versions (suggested by Gogeden)
- Do not clean VLC while it is running
- Specific to Linux
- Thunderbird: clean indexes on Fedora
- Firefox: clean minidumps (crash information)
- Clean more IcedTea (Java) cache
- Add packages for Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) and Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow).
- Specific to Windows
- Firefox: clean thumbnails
- Fix support for DetectOS option in Winapp2.ini. This option sets the required operating system version (XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc.)
- Add winapp2.ini: support arbitrary/custom LangSecRef