NVIDIA Tesla chips to help power fastest super computer

A project that will result in the creation of the world's fastest super computer will be built with NVIDIA-based chips powering most of the device. NVIDIA's press release this morning states that its Tesla chips will be used in Titan, the Cray XK6 machine that's being built at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. The super computer, which will be used by the US Department of Energy, will be over twice as fast than the current super computer champion, the K machine in Japan. AllThingsD.com reports that 85 percent of the Titan will be powered by NVIDIA's Tesla chips with the other 15 percent handled by CPUs made by AMD. The super computer will be used for a variety of projects relating to "material science, energy technology, medical research, geoscience, and others."

The Tesla GPUs are being used inside the Titan for two reasons; one is that they are better in handling the power requirements than conventional CPUs from Intel and AMD; NVIDIA says that the Titan will be up to three times more power efficient than Japan's K super computer. The other is that Tesla GPUs can handle floating point operations better than CPUs. The total amount of computing power that the Titan will generate will be a massive 20 petaFLOPS.

The Titan is currently being built at Oak Ridge at first by upgrading its current Jaguar super computer with 960 Tesla GPUs with the AMD multi-core CPUs. In 2012, Oak Ridge will install up to 18,000 Tesla GPUs in the final phase of the project.

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Xbox 360 Fall 2011 dashboard update public beta now open

Next Story

Analyst: iPhone 4S could sell 25 million units by end of 2011

11 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

This is incorrect. The press release clearly states that it will be the TESLA GPUs that will power Titan. Not Tegra which is a mobile processor with embedded GPUs. Its an AMD/NVIDIA hybrid machine.

Hasan Abbasi said,
This is incorrect. The press release clearly states that it will be the TESLA GPUs that will power Titan. Not Tegra which is a mobile processor with embedded GPUs. Its an AMD/NVIDIA hybrid machine.

This is what I'm thinking, surely you wouldn't put a mobile processor in a super computer if you're going for efficiency.

FMH said,
How much would it cost?

Lots of taxpayer money. But at least we can enjoy the chemtrails in the sky from their geoengineering project here.

Odd... why would they put a mobile processor in with intention of improving FPU processing when they already have GPGPU solutions there which do it a lot better then even tegra processors do... efficiency only goes so far and mobile processors unless you have thousands of them won't be more efficient when it takes 100+ to do what a single Tesla gpu unit does on about roughly same power efficiency.

they should overclock that bad boy and

dare I say it

can it run crysis while making coffee? ... think NOT ....

outstanding piece of engineering