Pale Moon is a custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser for Windows operating systems with current, high performance processors. It looks identical to the standard Firefox browser and supports Firefox extensions, themes and identities.
- Highly optimized for modern processors
- 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
- Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
- Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
- Stability: experience fewer browser crashes.
- Support for SVG and Canvas, and downloadable fonts including WOFF
- Support for HTML5 and WebGL (v4+)
- Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons), themes and personas
- Support for OOPP (Out-of-process plugin execution)
- Able to use existing Firefox bookmarks and settings with this migration tool
Version 12.1 is a major update to the browser, implementing a number of visual and under-the-hood changes.
- Bug #745580 Thebes: handle bad results from Core Text shaping more robustly.
- Bug #744541 XPCOM i/o: Charset conversion issue.
- Bug #747688 Layout engine: Drop references for all destroyed frames
- Security update of the included MSVC runtime libraries
Enhancements and fixes:
- Dynamic smooth scrolling algorithm for mouse/keyboard implemented. Smooth scrolling is now also enabled by default.
- Update to the status bar code to fix pop-up status not switching sides on mouse-over, as well as using a safer allocation/destruction mechanism for controls (potentially preventing memory leaks).
- Fixed: cache size override on new profiles (would be set to 1GB instead of the application default of 200MB). Bug 20120512-GN.
Addition of a number of preferences in the Tabs category of the options dialog box:
- A checkbox for inserting related tabs next to the current tab when opening a link;
- A checkbox for closing the browser window when the last tab is closed;
- A selection for new tabs: Choose from a blank page, the Pale Moon start page or the Quickdial page.
- Some slight color has been re-introduced in the navigation elements to improve clarity of the UI.
- Disabled an image decoding library with hazardous code. This has no impact on the browser's image decoding capabilities or performance as alternative methods for decoding are used by default.
- Some changes to memory handling which potentially keep memory use better within bounds.