Owners of the older "fat" PlayStation 3 game console are waking up this morning to discover they are no longer able to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, check trophies or access purchased content from the PlayStation Store, Neowin has learnt via Kotaku this morning.
It is understood that not only does the error prevent users of Sony's console from going online, but it also prevents gamers from playing some games offline as well - even for consoles not connected to PSN such as debug units. PS3 "fat" consoles are being assigned a random past date preventing users from signing into the PlayStation Network (PSN) or playing any PSN games. Some reports suggest not all PS3 "fat" consoles are affected.
According to one post on the NeoGaf forums, the problem could be related to a time and date bug in the console hardware. Some posters speculate there could be a leap year issue that is preventing the consoles from connecting to PSN. If this is the case then it mirrors a similar issue that Microsoft experienced with the original Zune devices in December 2008.
Sony officials have confirmed the problems. "We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them," said a Sony representative. Sony also said the "slim" units (120/250 GB models) are connecting to PSN normally.
The current advice being given to owners of "fat" PlayStation 3s is to keep them turned off until there is news from Sony on a patch or fix for the issue. Neowin will keep you posted on any developments.
Update: Sony has posted a full update on the issues, it looks like it's a clock bug and will be fixed within 24 hours.
"We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.
- The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
- When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the followingmessage appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
- When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
- When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
- Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data."
Image Credit: Kotaku