Report: Apple users buying over 60 percent more apps than last year

The users of Apple's various iOS devices are buying more apps from the App Store than ever before, at least according to a new report. Fortune's web site states that a new study released today by Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster states that users of the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch products are buying 61 percent more apps than they were just a year ago. If true that means that Apple's software distribution store is doing very well indeed.

Using the few bits of data that Apple announced about App Store sales, such as the recent statement that the 15th million app was downloaded, the study has reported that the average user downloaded 51 apps in 2010 for their iOS device. However that number is expected to go up to 83 apps per average user for 2011. In addition, users are spending more money per app. While there was an actual decline in the average selling price for apps in 2010 by 18 percent, those numbers are expected to increase 14 percent in 2011. Even with those sales number, 82 percent of apps on Apple's App Store are still free. The other 18 percent of apps that people pay for have an average price of $1.44. Apple's App Store only generates one percent of Apple's total revenue numbers.

Google's Android platform may be on a larger number of phones than Apple's iOS operating system but the study says that Apple's App Store still has over twice the amount of apps (425,000) versus the Android Market (200,000).

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

GM of co.cc subdomain responds to Google takedown

Next Story

Netflix not interested in buying Hulu

12 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

Dashel said,
I just don't get the mobile app craze.

I got a smartphone. The only app I use on a daily basis is the Weather app, eBay, and the pre-installed ones.

The mobile app craze is a craze because until just recently, Smartphones had a limited number of apps because Developers saw too small of a market to target. Verizon (and other service providers) also had a serious choke hold on any apps that ran on their feature phones (and people say Apple has restrictive policies....umm, everything is relative I suppose).

But I get the whole "app craze". You start to get it when you come across some very unique applications that amaze you. The other day this hit me when I came across a tree identification application for iOS called LeafSnap. Take a picture of a leaf with my smartphone, it talks to a server, and returns a list of likely trees the leaf came from. Brilliant.

hotdog963al said,
Cannot wait for it to pass. Please pass...
I've seen so many posts like this lately; whether it be relating to social media - Facebook, smartphone's, apps etc.

When did some many people turn in to Grandads?

It is not a CRAZE, its embracing new technology - get over yourself. If you wan't things to pass you by the so be it. You will get left behind and can stay reminiscing about the 'Good old days!'.

Soldiers33 said,
wasnt there an article saying how ios app purchases are dropping? or there was a post i think.

maybe people are getting more apps but paying for less of them(free)..

Lachlan said,

maybe people are getting more apps but paying for less of them(free)..


+1
free or cheaper. Right now, there are few application over $10.

Soldiers33 said,
wasnt there an article saying how ios app purchases are dropping? or there was a post i think.

No, there wasn't such an article. In fact, Apple just announced 15 Billion downloads.

I've certainly bought more apps this year. I think its a mix of higher quality games/apps/magazines, better sales, and having more disposable income.