Stardock: 3 million Start8 downloads; version 1.1 launched

Editors note: Please read our disclaimer on Neowin's relationship to Stardock in our forums.

Stardock launched the first public beta of its Start8 program for Windows 8 nearly a year ago and it was designed to bring a version of the familiar Start menu UI to the Windows 8 desktop interface. In October, the company released the first commercial version of Start8. Today, Stardock CEO Brad Wardell told Neowin that the program has had 3 million downloads since the commercial launch and that it currently "sells thousands of copies a day."

While the company has released quick updates to Start8 to fix bugs, today Stardock released the first major update to the program since its October commercial launch. Version 1.1 is now available for download at the Start8 website. Some of the new features include adding drag and drop support and the ability to rearrange items inside the "all programs" tree. The new version also adds rename support in the tree.

Version 1.1 of Start8 now allows users who pin folders to the Start menu to view the first X items as a jumplist. You can also open the menu by pressing the Windows key and the X key together. There's also a new way to add new custom location places; a full change log can be read at Stardock's website.

Previous owners of Start8 can now automatically update their version to 1.1. New users can download a free 30 day trial version of Start8 or get the full version now for $4.99.

Source: Start8 website | Image via Stardock

Google: The donkey is fine

Captain Obvious: Skype may be included in next Xbox

It's great and can be used with the windows start menu, that's the thing about windows it's still very customisable, the future is going to happen whether you use windows 8 or not so why not customise it the way you like it?

Personally I leave all the hot corners there and boot in the full screen start screen, but the button is still handy to have there so why not?

No they shouldn't include it as standard, they should do what they're doing and at the same time allow modifications like this to be made for those who want it. I'm looking forward to a modern version of litestep for win8 myself..

I have barely ever used the start menu except for searching for apps and stuff (using WinKey). I do the same in Windows 8. The difference is that the results are categorized and presented much nicer in Windows 8 as opposed to earlier Windows OS.

Pwrmad said,
Agreed.

these are the people who NEVER used the start button on their keyboard to access the Start Menu and are now clueless.

Even last week I had to show someone you could do this for app searching and such.
He was like 'Oh... really, that's what it does....' <facepalm>

Yes because everyone must know everything about how an operating system in order to use it and are expected to know everything about it get off your high horse

except MS hates other bundling windows with non-MS shell replacement.

MS have forbiden the OEM to do these practices since windows 95.
but i personaly believe bundling these start menu restorer might increases W8 sales, because it would give the users CHOICE, something that Julie-L green hates.

repeat downloads + more than 60 million windows 8 users because of pirates using KMS servers plus MC keys loophole = not really that many users but we'll just use this number to make people think our product is popular so they would buy it

3M from start8,
1.5M from Pokki,
??? from other Start Menu restorer,
if you compared with total 60M W8 licenses sold in the same quarter,

thats more than 7% of W8 users licensee (asuming all of those 60M arrived to end-users) were actually looking for start menu.

Except that these sites are likely counting repeat downloads from version updates. The actual user base may be significantly less than total downloads. Unless they all start reporting monthly usage metrics from installed versions, the reported numbers don't give a good picture of actual usage.

On that note, if 1+ million people really do have one of these installed, it will probably show up in the next update to Steam's application statics.

there also other who choose to remove the pre-installed W8 and installing W7 instead, these peoples doesn't even need the start menu restorer.

so yeah, people who actually want the start menu might be more than what metro-fanatics might expect.

3 million people who'd rather use an inferior method, rather than using something that's better. I'm not surprised that a large group of people could make a bad decision, it's happened before.

The problem is that it's not a fail. Maybe in your eyes, but it's not a fail...

The point I'm trying to make by quoting your reply to another post is that what you said works both ways. The old way maybe inferior to you, but millions of people think it's worth having around. Instead of embracing your logic from earlier, you dismiss it and act as if the people who don't share the same opinion have made a bad decision.

It's all subjective, really.

Considering it does the job better for them i wouldn't call it inferior we get it you like the start screen and are baffled at how other people could *gasp* prefer something different than you stop being so egotistical about it and let it go

Empyrean Glow said
Yes...like the Metro design team...
Well the problem with this is that you're wrong. You may view it as something that's bad but it is better at doing things that the Start Menu does.

omgben said
That's because they haven't given this an honest shot. Trying something and putting it down 5 seconds later is not trying something. I've compared the Start Menu and the Start Screen side by side and each time I've been able to find, organize, group, and search for files faster and more fluid than in the Start Menu.

I've witnissed large groups of people making a bad decision before. Just because many people agree on the same thing, doens't always mean that they're right.

I will tell you this. If Microsoft had worked harder on making a tutorial that everyone would understand, then there wouldn't be so many people thinking that they need the Start Menu, but *that* is where Microsoft failed to execute.

No, the problem is that you're wrong. You may view it as something that's good but it is worse at doing things that the Start Menu does.

See how that works? Your OPINION is no more valid than anyone else, no matter how many times you regurgitate the same holier-than-thou diatribe.

Empyrean Glow said
No, the problem is that you're wrong.
Strongly disagree with that.

Empyrean Glow said
Wrong again. The Start Screen is better at organizing and searching for files and the Start Menu is worse at pinning files because the amount of pinned programs is limited to your screen resolution. In the Start Screen you can pin as many programs as you want.

Empyrean Glow said
Well, you see. My opinion isn't just an opinion. It's an opinion based on facts; while others are just mostly based on what they see on TV, the internet, etc. I've seen hundreds of people complaining about Windows 8 yet they haven't even tried it yet. And even the ones who did try it only tried it for a minute or two. Before anyone can give a proper conclusion, they need to try it for a lengthy period of time instead of picking it up and dropping it 5 mins. later.

Actually, your opinion is an opinion, and in no way reflects reality. I would love to see what 'facts' you can present. Irregardless, you don't have to just take my word for it; why not read the views of a person with a Ph. D in Human-Computer Interaction.

No offense, but I'd consider his opinion a bit more credible than the opinion of those that obviously cannot have a rational discourse without blatantly twisting reality. The UI in Windows 8 is in no way, shape or form, better than what came before it.

Edited by Empyrean Glow, Jan 21 2013, 6:05pm :

So how many liscenses have they sold? 3 million downloaded is very vague. It doesn't tell us how many are active users.

People love to criticise the 60 million windows 8 figure, but then we see the same type of vague wording here and people run with it. I mean i get it that the reason its ignored is that it supports whatever agenda they have, but come on, lets at least try to be even handed.

Regardless, isnt this the perfect example of the advantage to windows? Even if there is something you dont like about the os, you can usually find a 3rd party app to fill the void. Sure you can claim that MS should just do what you want instead of needing an app, but why is this all of a sudden a new idea? Every single windows release includes 3rd party apps that offer a change or added functionality to suit the user that needs it. Its as if people are not use to custimizing their experience with 3rd party apps.

Either way, I'm not shocked that there are people that want this feature, nor do I think its a rejection of Windows 8. You might say its a rejection of the start screen, but not windows 8 as a whole. What it tells me is that some power users are eager to change the os to their liking just like every other new windows release.

From Pokki, they said 500.000.
From Start8, they say 3.000.000.
From MS, Windows8 has sold 60.000.000 liscences and we can see that, at least 3.500.000 WANT the startmenu.
It would be nice to know from others too, StartIsBack, ClassicShell, ViStart, etc...!!!
And yet all the Metro lovers and MS, say the Start Button isn't needed!
The numbers are huge (Yes, they are HUGE if you consider that they are for a small feature as a startmenu) and numbers don't lie...!
People need their startmenu and MS should have given it as an option!

tomasse said
From Pokki, they said 500.000.
From Start8, they say 3.000.000.
And yet all the Metro lovers and MS, say the Start Button isn't needed!
People need their startmenu and MS should have given it as an option!
A huge number indeed, but that also equals to 5.83% out of all 60 million copies of Windows 8. And the only reason why they download it because they think that the Start Screen is harder to use, or because they think that it prevents productivity, etc. The reality is that it enhances productivity and it shows that people are more and more afraid to learn something new in todays world and panic the minute something is taken away without realizing that the new way is better.. Before Windows 8, I didn't think there was anything better than the Start Menu. There are things I like and things I dislike about it but with the Start Screen there's more things that I see that make it better than the Start Menu and once I see something that's better, I can't go back to an inferior feature.

Edited by dtourond, Jan 17 2013, 3:46am :

You're welcome, Stardock! lol, been drumming up some business your way for those who aren't certain they'll be able to get used to Windows 8. You get a sale, I get a sale, we all win.

scaramonga said
More sales than Win8 hoped for lol
Well as much as Microsoft might be mad at companies making start menu alternatives, if it means that more people are buying Windows 8, they should at least be happy about that.

TurboShrimp said
I love start8 seriously it's a great app to replace Microsofts fail
The problem is that it's not a fail. Maybe in your eyes, but it's not a fail...

I used it for a bit, but until there is a product that can completely disable all of the metro crap, including settings, hot corners, and the charm bar, I'm not interested.

Windows 7 was re-installed.

There are options to disable all Windows 8 hot corners, including charm bars, top left, and bottom left hot corners within Start8. Did you not see them, or did they not work as you expected?

They didn't work. It removed them from one screen, but they were still appearing on another screen.

The whole experience pises me off. I hate the OS. It's a shame, because once Windows 7 has run it's course, I'm going to have to move to Apple or Linux.

Nashy said

Windows 7 was re-installed.

Well this is the way they're going with the OS so if you don't want to move on from the previous ways of using Windows, then you should probably stop whining and either get used to it or switch to another OS, but remember. Every OS has it's own series of flaws.

If you look past the UI changes, Windows 8 is actually a lot better than Windows 7.

Have fun using an inferior OS.

There is nothing inferior about an Apple or Linux OS when it's easier to use than Microsoft's offering.

I'm sick of people saying it's better than 7. It's not. 7 is easy to use. I don't care about the advancements they've made. It's not good to me if I'm not comfortable or happy using the Metro junk.

Empyrean Glow said,
And why, exactly, is your opinion somehow more valid than his?
Because a wise decision would be to take some time and at least try and learn about it instead of downgrading to an OS that is really great, but doesn't have the improvements that Windows 8 comes with in terms of security, stability, performance, boot/shutdown times, etc.

All of those reasons are why I'm currently using Windows 8 as my primary OS.

That being said, the Start screen is a half-assed abomination that doesn't need to be anywhere near a non-touch personal computer. IMHO.

Empyrean Glow said
.. the Start screen is a half-assed abomination that doesn't need to be anywhere near a non-touch personal computer.
IMHO
I think it works great on non-touch screen devices. It's really easy to navigate. Just click on the tiles to open them up. To close an app, just drag the app to the bottom of the screen. To go to the Desktop, click on the Desktop tile or press Win+D.

Buy new OS; Pay for 3rd party add-on which takes away the new features. Derp!

The Start screen looks fantastic for touch-screens and/or entry level users, but come on, it was a real dick move of Microsoft to completely remove the compact menu we've all been using for years, it's not a 'thing of the past', it's simply more compact. It baffles me that so-called power users actually support this, it reminds me of the people I see who keep all of their windows maximised using the task bar to navigate between them. Uhhh... window management anyone? I need to be able to see the windows I have open whilst launching an application.

Well personally I've gotten used to the new Start screen. But that's only because I rarely need to access it. I don't look at it as a positive change.

No matter how much easier something is, if it changes how they do things, many people just cannot or will choose not to adapt. Stardock is just willing to take their money.
I'd rather move forward than be stuck in the past. Windows 8 is terrific once you get past the learning curve.

This reminds me of my experiences in my job. Working in a hospital, whenever they changed the hospital OS many workers would complain "why did they have to do that, I was so used to the system we were using, this is so much harder". These complaints were based on the workers being used to the current system and unwilling to adapt to a new system. After a few months, these same workers after learning the new OS would then say "wow this system is so much better than the older system". These people were unwilling to adapt to change and would complain because they were taken out of their comfort zone!!!!!!!!
JMHO, I think Win8 UI is very easy to use once the UI is learned.

What about: I want Windows 8 for the speed/reactivity it brings and for the desktop enhancements, but I don't want/need the Start Screen for the simple reason that it brings me nothing that I can't already have?

What is really idiotic is telling someone how they MUST use their computer, and that they MUST like the "new" way of doing things, cause they were wrong for the last 20 years.

PsYcHoKiLLa said,
Idiotic. If you don't want Windows 8 THEN DON'T BUY IT

I never used Start8 or any menus. But I have to say Windows 8 is fast... Start up time = 5 second. Shuts down instantly. All my game works fine!

So, I'm in those 3 million downloads... but I don't use Start 8. Just wanted to try what some people were talking about.

I wonder how many people did the same as me.

And hasn't Start 8 been around since the Consumer Preview? 3 million downloads isn't really significant at all if it has been around for almost a year.

Seketh said,

I wonder how many people did the same as me.

Yeah. Sadly, people do use it. I have few friends which dislike Windows 8 and one friend formatted his PC and installed Windows 7 after a few days of Windows 8.

Kenny Kanashimi Chu said
Downloading a program that emulates an inferior feature is one thing, but downgrading the entire OS is an even bigger mistake.

Why waste $5.00 on this program. Use Win8 as it is. Life is full of changes. Embrace change, don't run away from it. Funny how people will complain about spending $15.00 on the Win8 upgrade but will spend $5.00 on this useless app.

What makes you think the same people that are complaining about the $15 upgrade are buying this app?

The app isn't useless otherwise it wouldn't have sold as many copies perhaps it's useless for someone like you who doesn't care when microsoft changes something
shock horror people like different things and either some are not ready to change to the new start menu or they used their intellect and realised the new start menu isn't that great

Why should people have to embrace change for the sake of change? If they took away something you liked and replaced it with something else that is less than ideal why should you have to put up with it when alternatives exist? stop being a sheep pick what works best for YOU and move on don't chastise other people because they have a different justified world view/opinion than you

paesan said,

Looks like you've forgotten what the 'P' stands for in 'PC'.

paesan said,

When I press the windows key I don't want my 30 inch screen completely filled with a bunch of ****ing tiles.

paesan said,
We are all entitled to our opinions. I made my comment. I don't agree with those opinions. I made my opinion.

You didn't state an opinion you went on an attack telling people to embrace windows 8 effectively criticizing them on how they choose to spend their money labeling it as a useless purchase

You can just say you like the new start menu and possibly give reasons why then yeah that's fair enough.

DDStriker said,

Exactly. Not all people have the same view/opinion. I'm not saying Start8/New Modern Screen is crap. But just your view/opinion on what you choose.

DDStriker said
The app isn't useless otherwise it wouldn't have sold as many copies
3,5 million copies compared to the 60 million Windows 8 licences. 5.83% is not a lot..

DDStriker said
Well you see. That's the problem, people have this illusion that the new Start Screen takes away things from the Start Menu, when really it's better at doing the same things that the Start Menu did.

warwagon said
So, you don't want all your programs right there for to have easy access to..?

Even if just one copy sold and it helped one person that would be enough to consider it a useful application 3.5 million is an incredible amount perhaps even some of that 94.17% hate the new start screen and are just unaware of an alternative.

I think the only illusion being had here is you and your concept that the start screen has no flaws that can be resolved by using the start menu.

Your attitude is "well this works well for me so it must be the best option screw everyone else"

Take the iphone for example it shows a time stamp for messages received but if you receive multiple messages it only shows the time stamp for the first one

Now i would prefer a time stamp for every message where some people don't care about the time stamp as much so it doesn't matter to them

Someone complained about this on an apple forum and the responses were just "Oh it's fine this way it allows messages to compact better" well **** why not make it an option why can't i have the freedom to decide what is best for me? you are not the user of the device so your opinion shouldn't matter against those who desire something better/different

Even your response to warwagon was absurd implying without an over sized application taking up the entire screen he is unable to access all his programs easily

You're giving far too much credit to this start screen where it may be able to show more applications than the start menu it definetly can't show them all and most people just use the search anyway rendering the space it takes up as unnecessary.

I don't have a real opinion on the start screen yet if anything they should have made it show up when you press windowslogo+d to replace the functionality of the current "show desktop" shortcut and leave the start menu/logo

I just detest people who attempt to limit peoples choices by favoring their own such as you're doing here start screen is good for you? great your criticism of peoples freedom of choice is unnecessary

DDStriker said
Well I'm looking at the numbers and while 3.5 million is a big number, 60 million is an even bigger number, and putting the two side by side clearly shows how many people are interested in the alternatives. Of course this number will grow over time, but I don't think it'll grow that far. I'll be somewhat surprised if I see something like 20 million.

DDStriker said
Well it's not an illusion. After testing the Start Screen and the Start Menu, the fluidity, design, imrpovements in organization and search all show that the Start Screen. It's clear that a lot of users are more willing to get an alternative instead of learn about the Start Screen.

DDStriker said
Not entirely true. I've tried this with a bunch of other people I know and about more than 70% of them agreed that the Start Screen was better. I think the Start Menu is great, but if you look at the pros & cons of the Start Menu & the Start Screen you can see that the Start Screen makes for a better experience. If Microsoft had made a much better tutorial then there'd definitely be more people loving the Start Screen because they know how to use it. When they know how to use it they can see the improvements much better.

DDStriker said
I think I'm giving the right amount of credit to something that is better.

DDStriker said
And I detest people who bash something without giving it a real shot, and learning how to use it before saying it sucks, or wasting time downloading an alternative. This is a perfect example of people being stuck in the past with an inferior feature. Change isn't always bad, but people who try something and put it down 5 seconds later don't have the right to bash something because they didn't try it enough to draw that conclusion.

So, you don't want all your programs right there for to have easy access to..?

The program seems to be easy to access. However, no uninstaller presented and when you try to uninstall a program, it's redirect you to control panel with bunch of other program listed. Also, you have no way to pin your favorited programs any more.
I find that people are more use to vertical scroll. The new horizontal scroll just don't feel right on a desktop.
If those were fixed or not I don't care. But is up to the people that uses their PC.

Kenny Kanashimi Chu said
Some programs that I needed to uninstall did show an uninstaller when choosing the uninstall option in the Start Screen. I guess it depends on the program.

Kenny Kanashimi Chu said
Also, you have no way to pin your favorited programs any more.
Yes you can, just go to the Start Screen, start typing the program you want, and right-click on it, then it should say something like "Pin to Start Screen". I've done this with all my programs.

Kenny Kanashimi Chu said
Ah, okay.. I like it because it feels better and this is still new, but over time some people might adapt to it, who knows.

Windows 8 + Start8 = Best Windows Ever
Edit: I wish Microsoft let go of this stubbornness and bring back start Menu.

Edited by trojan_market, Jan 16 2013, 9:56pm :

S3P€hR said,
Edit: I wish Microsoft let go of this stubbornness and bring back start Menu.

Why does it matter if the start menu is direct from Microsoft or not? You have a choice of dozens of solutions and you chose the one that best suited you. If Microsoft included a start menu, you might not have as many choices.

ModernMech said,

mainly because it doesn't run an extra service (32 bit service on my 64 bit machine) in the background. but honestly, so far I am happy with start8 even with it.

Edited by trojan_market, Jan 17 2013, 5:15pm :

Are Stardock counting downloads or actual Start8 licenses sold? It's not quite clear.

If the former, some people might have downloaded the trail version but never purchased it.

"While the company has released quick updates to Start8 to fix bugs, today Stardock released the first major update to the program since its October commercial launch. Version 1.1 is now available for download at the Start8 website."

That's at the moment this post was made, a lie!!!

When you insert your email and get a link to the crappy Cnet site, full of crap, you get version 1.03!!!

At least update the links before going public about a release Stardock and Neowin (And stop making people download Cnet crappy site and NO I don't want CNET crappy downloader"!

Got it and loving it, have been running it since early beta never had any issues with it works smooth and is fast unlike others i have used. Was worth the few quid i paid.

quite the opposite for me. I tried the last few versions and it felt sluggish to me but StartIsBack seemed so much faster for me.

I got it when it first came out for $2.99 or whatever promotion they were running when I was still hating on Microsoft for removing the start menu but the only purpose it serves now is a shortcut to the Start Screen (easier for my mom to click than looking for the windows key on the keyboard; otherwise it would be uninstalled which will happen sooner than later). Finally decided to embrace change rather than resist it...

DaveGreen said,
So Stardock is implicitly confirming us that Windows 8 si becoming a popular OS. Fine.

I guess that's one way to interpret this news item...

Of course we already knew that MS had sold more than 3 million copies of Windows 8.

waiting for the 1st person to say "only 3 million, that's nothing compared to the number of stars in the galaxy, I mean number of windows 8 OS's sold"

neufuse said,

License sold. It's not because a license is sold than someone is running the OS. There's countless of Vista and 7 licenses out there with XP installed on the computer HD.

Can't we also say that while they may have had 3 million downloads, not all are active or turned in to purchases?

I think they would be singing a different tune if all those downloads turned in purchases. $5 x 3,000,000 = $15,000,000 made off of a tiny app (based on current price). I bet they would send MS a cake decorated as a Start menu.

SK[ said,]Impressive figures. Shows a lot of people are unwilling to let go of the Start Menu.

3 million start8. over 60 million licenses. Ya a lot of people are unwilling

Colin McGregor said,

3 million start8. over 60 million licenses. Ya a lot of people are unwilling

Start8 is only one of many Start Menu alternatives out there - http://arstechnica.com/informa...8-and-i-miss-my-start-menu/ . Considering the number of actual Windows 8 users as opposed to license holders is probably lower than 60 million, it sends a pretty strong signal for the solution of a single company alone to have sold 3 million copies.

Colin McGregor said,

3 million start8. over 60 million licenses. Ya a lot of people are unwilling

I highly doubt and 60mil licenses are in use. There was another Start Menu program that reported 1.5million downloads. So thats 4.5mil with just 2 companies. Still a lot considering you have to pay for some of them which many probably just put up with Win8 than pay for start menu software.

Colin McGregor said,

3 million start8. over 60 million licenses. Ya a lot of people are unwilling

Many People are unaware of these softwares and many are unsure whether to get it or not, honestly even me that I am using start8 right now was unsure to run an extra service in background to bring back start menu as opposed to native start screen. But here I am right now happily using it. It is less than 3 MB in size and runs perfectly fine.

But are these really copies of Start8 sold? Or is it 3 million licenses sold to people, companies, and OEMs that never installed it, upgraded to using the start screen, or OEMs that installed it on computers that are sitting on shelves in some Best Buy?

nohone said,

Do OEMS load it on machines in stores like Best Buy? Otherwise, silly for people to buy 3rd party software and not use it.

Colin McGregor said,

3 million start8. over 60 million licenses. Ya a lot of people are unwilling

Three million (and counting) unsatisfied about the new Start screen. Wait till businesses upgrade too. Where not talking about 10 or 20 users here. Just imagine Microsoft getting thousands of complaints/questions a day from people who upgrade, with the most common question being "where's the Start menu (that's been there for the last 15 years)?". Microsoft's answer: "we got rid of it, because our research showed that no one actually used it".

techbeck said,

He's making fun of people who question the Windows 8 Licenses Sold numbers.

68k said,

Stats and figures that these are people who are unsatisfied? It could be people who just wanted to try it out, people who were looking for something else to add to suit them.

If I buy MS Office/Word, does it mean that I am unsatisfied with WordPad? With OpenLibre? WordPerfect? Apple Pages/iWork? Buying something does not mean they are dissatisfied.

I highly doubt its 3 million unique users who paid for it. If it were he'd have announced 3 million licenses sold. No, I suspect the actual number of people continuing to use it is much lower than 3 million.

Also how many of those three million are just re-downloads from each time a new version is released?

Businesses have chosen to skip Windows 8 entirely. Too much support/retraining costs, lost productivity, etc. for no gains whatsoever from the new OS.

No one wants to use touch screens on the desktop.

warwagon said,

Either does warwagon.

Good for you, but you, nor excalpius speek for everyone. I myself look forward to buying a hires monitor with touch support for my desktop, which makes excalpius' comment factually incorrect.

nohone said,

He's merely using exaggeration as a rhetorical device. Like Steve Jobs claiming that "nobody wants a stylus".

S3P€hR said,

Thanks for mentioning that this thing runs an extra service. For that reason alone, I won't touch it and will learn to live with MS's stupidity on that absolutely ignorant setup they created!

Why are you concerned about an extra service (from a reputable company) running? Replacing the Start screen infrastructure entirely would be a big job, and could conflict with future Windows updates. It's easier and smarter just to add an extra Start menu service.