Stardock Start8 lets you return the Start Button to Windows 8. Microsoft Windows 8 is shipped without the “Start” menu. Start8 brings back Windows 7-style Start menu with Windows 8 enhancements. Also you can view and launch installed applications (including Modern apps), All Programs menu. Start8 includes support for “jump lists”/recent documents for recently accessed programs (Devices, Documents, Music, Videos, Photos, Computer, and more). Pin favorite desktop and Metro apps shortcuts directly to the start menu for easy access. Start8 adds searchable Windows 8-style (Modern UI) Start menu options for Windows desktop applications, Modern applications, and documents. It allows automatically load directly to your Windows desktop on login (vs the start screen). In addition, you can also easily shutdown your PC without needing to access another menus.
- Windows 7-style Start menu with Windows 8 enhancements
- Pin desktop and Modern UI apps
- Jump list support
- Unified Search for Apps, Settings and Files
- Boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop
- Automatically matches the color of the taskbar
- Skinnable Start button
- Windows 8 Start screen accessible from the Start Menu
- Optionally disable the Windows 8 desktop “hot spots”
- Adds option for WinKey to show full screen metro desktop
- Group Policy support
- Configurable Start menu size
- Windows 8 Start screen accessible from the Start menu
- Clean, streamlined UI enhances Start8′s usability
- Optionally disable the desktop Windows 8 “hot spots”
- Supports WindowFX 5.1 start menu animations (currently in beta)
- Choose a custom Start button skin and color
What's new in this version:
- Updated for Windows 8.1 RTM compatibility
- Added self-contained menu skinning for Windows 8/8.1(though WindowBlinds skins will still work globally). See the "Which theme do you want to use" dropdown for an example. A library section for new ones is available at http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/start8_menus.
- The included Start8ThemeEdit.exe (in the application folder) can be used to create new Start8 menu skins.
- New default Start button image. The Windows logo is no longer available as a default selection.
- New features under Control for "Start button shows Windows 8 menu unless docked" and "Start button shows Start8 menu unless in tablet mode" for slate and convertible machines respectively. Users with those machines must manually select one of those options, if they wish to use them.
- Windows 8-style start menu options are available on Windows 8.1 RTM. There are additional options for keeping the taskbar visible and defaulting to the Application view.
- Additional fixes.