A software glitch regarding the change in longitude from W179.99 degrees to E180 forced 12 United States Air Force F-22A Raptor stealth fighters to cancel their first overseas flight. The jets were flying from Hawaii to Japan when they were forced to turn back using only visual contact with their tankers after the onboard navigation, communications and fuel systems crashed as the planes crossed the International Date Line. Because of "operational security reasons" the USAF refused to specify the cause of the issue saying only that the aircraft "experienced a software problem involving the navigation system en route from Hickam to Kadena". The $125m planes, the most expensive fighters ever built, returned safely, but the situation may have been disastrous had they not been with their tankers or had the weather not been on their side.
- Anyone know who this quotations is by ? in General Discussion
- Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao on NES Punch Out! in Jokes & Funny Stuff
- The Peterson Group : Fraud Company and Failed Promises in Tablet, Media Devices & Smartphones
- Zero-Day Malvertising Attack Went Undetected For Two Months in Back Page News
- Sony announces lifetime PS4 sales hit 22.3 million mark in Sony Console
- Windows 10 10108, a few UI tweaks and a toggle button update in Front Page News
- Apple pushing music labels to kill free Spotify streaming ahead of Beats relaunch in Back Page News
- Microsoft adds ability to remove your content from Cortana in Windows 10 in Front Page News
Please enter your reason for reporting this comment.
The following codes can be used in comments.