Study: 51 percent of web traffic comes from bots

Just how many recorded visits from a website come from an actual human being surfing on their PC or mobile device? It may be less than you think. According to a new study from the cloud-based website security service Incapsula, just 49 percent of all website visits are from real people. The other 51 percent come from several different types of automated visitors.

That number includes the typical search engine traffic which Incapsula says comprises 20 percent of all web traffic. However, the company claims that the other 31 percent are out to attack websites by various means. The study claims that five percent of all website traffic comes from direct hacking tools that are trying to install malware programs, attempting to lift credit card numbers or simply trying to crash the site.

Another five percent of web traffic comes from "scrapers" that try to lift and copy content from websites. The study claims that two percent of web traffic is comprised of comment spamming programs that try to enter into litter user comments and forums with messages such as ads. Finally 19 percent of web traffic is some kind of spyware, such as trying to check up on a site for changes to alert competing sites.

The company said they came up with the numbers by sampling 1,000 websites that are customers of Incapsula, each with an average of between 50,000 and 100,000 monthly visitors.

Image via Incapsula

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

Details about next Microsoft SharePoint leaked

Next Story

‘The Walking Dead' game coming to Facebook

13 Comments

warwagon said,
interesting

A website security service is telling us 51% of computers need better security and you find that interesting,

can I interest you in buying a bridge in London I have for sale?

DClark said,
This is what happens in no-man's land. DEAR GOVERNMENT, TAKE CONTROL OF INTERNET!

i'd rather have this than 51% web traffic claimed by goverment tracking/filtering tools

DClark said,
This is what happens in no-man's land. DEAR GOVERNMENT, TAKE CONTROL OF INTERNET!

With all due respect, I'm not sure whether...
You know...
Or whether you're just trolling...

Please elaborate.

GS:mac

Glassed Silver said,

With all due respect, I'm not sure whether...
You know...
Or whether you're just trolling...

Please elaborate.

GS:mac


Yeah I trolled. I was expecting more responses - Neowin needs the hits to keep running.

Makes you wonder how much faster and reliable the Internet and Web servers would be without this "evil" 31%...

Athlonite said,
Kinda makes you wonder where those Nigerians get all those computers from

'Donate your old PC for the 3rd world here'...

Is this why my site has a huge amount of all visits (almost 30% or 3000 pageviews) stay on my site for less than 10 seconds. (according to the engagement tab in my google analytics)

Commenting is disabled on this article.