You read the title correctly and if you are not out decking your neighbors trying to get the last waffle maker for an unbelievably low price this Friday, make sure to update your parents web browser. The Atlantic has put together the idea and Microsoft is helping out with a few helpful hits below.
The idea is simple, your parents are not tech savvy and need you to keep their machines updated and one simple way to do that is to upgrade their browser. While this will certainly not stop all the tech support phone calls asking you to defrag their monitor or change their RAM fluid, it should help cut out some of the other malware that could infect the PC through the browser.
But when will you find time to gain access to their PC to update the browser? Microsoft offers 10 moments when you may be able to strike:
10. When they’re manning the fire extinguisher dealing with the yearly deep-fried turkey accident.
9. When they’re telling your cousins “when I was your age” stories.
8. When they’re face down in the eggnog punch.
7. When they’re fighting over the right way to carve a turkey.
6. When your mom kicks you out of the kitchen for peeling potatoes “the wrong way.”
5. When they’re sent to the grocery store at 2PM on Thanksgiving Day for extra cranberries.
4. When they’re sitting at the Adult’s table (rally the other kids to help).
3. When they’re standing in a Black Friday line.
2. When they’re untangling Christmas lights.
And the number one time to update your parents’ browser is…
1. When they’re distracted by grilling you about when you’re going to get a real job, when you’re going to settle down, and when you’re going to give them grandchildren.
So there you have it, find time to update your parents browser this holiday season as it could be the best gift they receive and it will cost you nothing and may even save you a few tech support calls.