Sega announced a few hours ago that the highly anticipated home console edition of Virtua Fighter 5 has gone gold for the Playstation 3 and would be available at retail as expected on February 20th. As some of you may know, Virtua Fighter 5 has been in the Japanese arcades for awhile now, but North American Playstation 3 owners will be able to enjoy the Sega AM2 production in a little under a month now. European Playstation 3 owners (of which there are none yet) will have to wait a bit longer, since without a console to play the game on, you can't really play the game! The game should be a launch title however, since the March 2007 release date hasn't changed for the European territory.
Virtua Fighter 5 is the first all new game in the long running series in almost 5 years. The game sports a shiny new graphics engine, 17 playable characters across 5 gameplay modes, and a fairly deep character customization feature. Not to mention the usual AM2 production values for a VF game. If you enjoyed Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, you know what to expect.
An Xbox 360 version of Virtua Fighter 5 is also scheduled to be released sometime during the fall this year.
View: Original Story @ Worthplaying
Virtua Fighter 5 will elevate the arcade fighting genre to all new heights as the game promises to take true advantage of the capabilities of the next generation hardware. Virtua Fighter 5 raises the bar for console fighting games including all the features fans know and love plus enhanced gameplay mechanics, additional characters and new fighting styles, as well as newly redesigned 3D environments.
Virtua Fighter 5 will deliver fast-paced, adrenaline-pumping action as players head into battle, taking on a host of popular characters. The game will introduce two new dynamic characters, El Blaze and Eileen, complete with new fighting techniques and from completely different backgrounds. Play as one of the 17 default characters in the game or customize a character to become the top Virtua Fighter. Players will be able to modify their characters by selecting from four base costumes and then decorate them by attaching a wide range of unlockable and earnable items. Players will not only achieve victory by defeating highly-skilled opponents, but also by competing for prizes and earning in-game money allowing them to buy many items at an in-game shop. Further building upon the depth of the series, players will now be able to move around their opponent using an "Offensive Move" technique, adding a new strategic element to their battles.
- Two New Characters, El Blaze and Eileen, round out the cast of 17 dynamic characters. El Blaze is a Mexican wrestling champion that uses the Lucha Libre fighting style, and Eileen, originally from China, uses a Monkey Kung Fu style which she learned from her grandfather.
- Stunning, Highly-Detailed 3-D Fighting Environments inspired by locales around the world where players can challenge their opponents in unique types of arenas.
- Offensive Move lets players to easily move around their opponent from the side and back allowing players to be more strategic with their battles.
- Customize your character with the enhanced attachment system and customization engine giving players more flexibility than ever before when creating their characters.
- Next Gen Presentation includes 720p HD resolution (widescreen) and 5.1-channel Dolby Digital surround.