After two long years, VLC Media Player for iOS has made a comeback to the Apple App Store. VLC left the iOS platform because of licensing issues.
VLC for iOS can play all your movies and shows in most formats directly without conversion. You can synchronize media to your device using WiFi Upload, iTunes, Dropbox, or direct downloads from the web. VLC for iOS requires iOS 5.1 or later. It runs on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, including the first iPad.
VLC for iOS main features:
- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A video media library, with WiFi Upload, Dropbox integration and optional passcode lock.
- Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Supports iOS 5.1 or later including the first iPad.
- Completely free, libre and open source.
What's new in version 2.0.2:
- This is a quick release to fix the major issues of the first release
- MPEG audio decoding (including MP2 and MP3)
- Dropbox integration, navigation and VoiceOver
- UI bugs on iOS5; CSS issues on the Wifi Upload page
- subtitles for Greek, Cyrillic and Vietnamese
- various crashes and misbehaviors
- add vlc:// protocol handler