Wal-Mart drops price for iPhone 3GS to $97

Capture

Wal-Mart has dropped the price of its 16GB iPhone 3GS from $199 to $97, available now.  The price drop started earlier today as Wal-Mart is trying to get rid of their iPhone 3GS stock.

After the leak of the iPhone 4G hardware and steady releases of the iPhone OS 4.0 SDKs, consumers may be waiting for the next model or a price drop in the iPhone 3GS before purchasing a new phone.  Wal-Mart is now the first major retailer to offer the iPhone 3GS 16GB, in black or white, for half the regular price.  Wal-Mart is even offering the iPhone 3GS 16GB for cheaper than Apple Stores.

The special price discount requires consumers to sign a two year deal with AT&T, the iPhone's exclusive carrier.  Wal-Mart is also selling the iPhone 3GS 32GB, in black or white, for $297; they are also offering the iPhone 3GS 32GB slightly cheaper than Apple Stores at $297, compared to $299.

Google reveals AdSense revenue share

AT&T powering up free WiFi hotspot in Times Square

I'm still waiting for the day that you'll be able to buy any phone and then carry it over to ANY of the providers you want...

Aaron7pm said,
Well thats aggravation, I spent $99 for an iPhone 3G, and now they are selling the 3GS for $2 less?!?

I know how you feel. That's why when the 4G comes out I'm going to give the AT&T/Apple guys h*ll for it.

Edited by njn007, May 26 2010, 1:59pm :

Dinggus said,
Wonder how much with out a 2yr contract, I have friends wanting to get iPhone's but want to keep Verizon.

For the iPhone 3G around $300, for the iPhone 3GS around $450. Besides the iPhone wont work on Verizon, Sprint, Cricket, etc (Excluding T-Mobile) because it uses SIM card, rather than porting information. That and some other network issues. Sorry

Aaron7pm said,

So, if my friend has a Blackberry with a SIM card, it wouldn't work?

Dinggus said,

So, if my friend has a Blackberry with a SIM card, it wouldn't work?

If I remember correctly Blackberry's work with both ways, but im not sure. I think it wont work. (the 1st is what I think I remember the 2nd is what I believe)

Aaron7pm said,

Remember that the iPhone 4G will be using a Micro-SIM card. That limits your usage right there.

In Japan, Softbank mobile has been giving the 16GB model away free for quite a while.

Anyone who is smart, though, will wait for the 4G; those who are even smarter will get an Android phone instead.

Shiranui said,

WAHH FOR FREEEEEE!!!!!

^ It's a tech website, do you expect hair product news?

2 year deals are rubbish through and through. The problem is, I don't want to change supplier for my mobile needs, but technology moves so quick that the handset is obsolete within a year.

It's a tech site, and not a "deal" website, this is basically advertisement they've posted and if you want crap like this there's Google shopping, slickdeals.net, retailmenot,etc.

This is a niche forum post at best on the front page.

Mr Spoon said,
^ It's a tech website, do you expect hair product news?

My boyfriend has his phone through T-Mobile and they offer him upgrade eligibility every 6 months. Wish that was the norm!

Edited by Cupcakes, May 25 2010, 4:49pm :

NeoandGeo said,
Yea, my Motorola Droid already feels obsolete, and I haven't even had it for 6 months.

Im glad that i own a Motorola Milestone instead of the Motorola Droid. *wink* ;-)

btw:i don't feel that it is obsolete at all, at least Froyo will come soon.

I think I'll keep my 3G. I'm *hoping* to get the 4G. I'll do an early upgrade and use my Apple Gift Cards to waive that part.

Hopefully I have other money in my pocket to cover the hefty price of the phone itself (it'll at least be $100 more since I'm doin an early upgrade).

njn007 said,

Ill be getting a 4g when it comes out. Had my 3gs a year so if it comes out soon, ill be paying the 199 base price probably unless the upgraded versions have something on them worth paying more for.

SputnikGamer said,

That's the thing with me. I bought a 3G in September of '09 because they were so cheap. The only reason I didn't buy it earlier was my contract agreement w/ Verizon.

According to AT&T if I wait until March of 2011 I can upgrade with no penalty. I'm not sure if I can resist new hardware for that long!

I would like to switch to Sprint if it goes there (4G, 69.99 for unlimited talk, text, web), but it would have to wait until my contract w/ AT&T is done (especially with the new early termination fees).

AT&T's prices for you to be able and do everything on the Iphone are just silly and way too high. Sprint offers the same deal, only for like $60 bucks less than AT&T. True, you got to get a Android based phone, but that's a plus right

shakey said,

I thought that Sprint offers the same deal for about $70/mo (pre-tax) that AT&T offers for about $95/mo (pre-tax). Granted, Sprint is still a better deal, but I think your "$60 bucks less" is exaggerated.

Shadrack said,
I think your "$60 bucks less" is exaggerated.

With Sprint Everything Data plan, it's $69.99 for unlimited calls to all mobile phones (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/etc), 450 daytime landline minutes (free after 7PM and weekends), unlimited data, unlimited text messaging, GPS navigation and pretty much every other feature Sprint has. If you want something comparable with AT&T, you're looking at:

Plan: Nation Unlimited $69.99
Services: Data Plan for iPhone $30.00
Messaging Unlimited $20.00
AT&T Navigator(SM) for iPhone $9.99

Total: 129.98

nullie said,

Plan: Nation Unlimited $69.99
Services: Data Plan for iPhone $30.00
Messaging Unlimited $20.00
AT&T Navigator(SM) for iPhone $9.99

Total: 129.98

To be completely fair, the GPS stuff is built into the iPhone for free, and the application is not a monthly fee--it's one-time. AT&T's navigator just offers a turn-by-turn extra that will likely come from Google or Apple, for free.

Anyway, other than that you make a completely fair point. $120, pre-tax (!) for unlimited everything compared to $60 (pre-tax). If Sprint really does get the iPhone 4G, then they really could dig into AT&T's subscription numbers and maybe even Verizon's. I would be interested jumping ship to Sprint, or a significantly cheapened Verizon (as it is now, they're not any better than AT&T, and their unlimited isn't really unlimited at all).

pickypg said,
Err... $70 pre-tax.

It's a separate feature though, yeah Palm Pre and other phones have Google Maps and stuff that's free, but the Everything data plans also specifically include access to Sprint Navigator which is a real GPS service with turn by turn, etc, just like a dedicated GPS device. So that's $9.99/month for the same feature on AT&T.

Edited by nullie, May 25 2010, 4:01pm :

nullie said,

Plan: Nation Unlimited $69.99
Services: Data Plan for iPhone $30.00
Messaging Unlimited $20.00
AT&T Navigator(SM) for iPhone $9.99

Total: 129.98

I pay 60 a month for the same thing you pay 70 for. i have a 3gs on iphone but hey, i was smart enough to get a 2 year plan while the deals were going on so the 60 is locked in place for 2 years. its amusing to see how much sprint and at&t change their rates across the usa. what you are claiming costs 130 for you, and 75 here unless you get your plan when special offers come around. the same thing costs 100 on sprints network here.

SputnikGamer said,
the same thing costs 100 on sprints network here.
What zip code is that in?

Also, I highly doubt you're paying only $60 for unlimited everything with an iPhone. Post a copy of the specific plan and how you got the discounts.

nullie said,
What zip code is that in?

the only thing that i dont get unlimited is call minutes which im limited to 1200 a month. of course with free calling on weekends and after 7 its next to impossible to hit that limit since i dont use my personal cell at work during the day.

nullie said,
What zip code is that in?

forgot my zipcode 73505. even without special deals, 69.99 for unlimited on at&t and 99.99 on sprint. i got discount through goodyear factory thats here. the original price was 49.99 but with a 3gs had to pay 10 more for full data plan.

SputnikGamer said,

I wish I was getting that. They have never had those deals in Virginia.

pickypg said,
I wish I was getting that. They have never had those deals in Virginia.

the military base nearby also gets us military discounts every now and then that are just as good. sprint and verizon are virtually none existent here. leave the main cities and you get no coverage worth anything to even make phone calls when 3g on at&t is still there.

SputnikGamer said,

Your plan doesn't allow for unlimited internet/data though at 69.99. You have to pay more then to get all the services that sprint offers for 69.99, though the sprint deal does not give you as many regular talk time minutes... but I don't talk as much as I txt, email, or surf the web.
I'm not sure exactly what my plan still is, because I got it a while ago, but for 2 phones, unlimited minutes and data package, only paying 129.99 a month. So roughly 65 a month just for my phone to have unlimited everything.

Edited by shakey, May 25 2010, 5:06pm :

shakey said,

the site doesn't have my plan because it was a deal offered through another company. the 69.99 is what you would get if you didnt get a deal. the base price of the deal was 49.99 which came with the 1200 minutes and unlimited texting. unlimited data was only 10 so total price with the deal came out to be 59.99

I noticed the family plans too. Surprising that with so many people that complain about single phone plans, why dont you just get a shared plan with someone. obviously not just anyone but still. either way, 65 for unlimited everything per person is still cheaper that sprint.

the trend seems to be that in areas where a carrier dominates the market, they offer cheaper plans with better service. at&t is the only carrier here that doesnt drop calls and has service outside of town and it is the cheaper carrier also. rare to find anyone in the area that doesnt use at&t. was visiting my sister in florida and her town seemed to be on sprint. she was the odd on there with bad reception and the only reason the prices compared is because of her sharing a plan with our dad which was based out of here.

shakey said,
but I don't talk as much as I txt, email, or surf the web..

This is the key to everything really. People who claim one carrier is better than another have never left their home(meaning city) for more than a few days. The prices have their ups and down based on what you need. Each carrier has its areas where it dominates over others. Prices vary EVERYWHERE. Those prices vary enough to where they ask your zip code on the website to keep them from undercutting themselves. I noticed that first with Walmart. One end of town that would be considered lower class/income has cheaper prices than the Walmart on the other end in the high class/income region. Same company, same product, different price. Carriers seem to do the exact same thing.

Edited by SputnikGamer, May 25 2010, 6:39pm :

nullie said,

Plan: Nation Unlimited $69.99
Services: Data Plan for iPhone $30.00
Messaging Unlimited $20.00
AT&T Navigator(SM) for iPhone $9.99

Total: 129.98

AT&T's Nationwide Unlimited isn't the same as Sprint Unlimited. Anyway, for my needs I only need the 450min plan (which IMO is more inlined with Sprints "unlimited" plan as that is only mobile-to-mobile), so yeah. About $25 a month extra for AT&T. Its still sucks, but not $60.

Shadrack said,

It's not close because pretty much everyone is using a mobile phone these days, so it's nearly truly unlimited, and landline calls are unlimited 75% of the week pretty much..

nullie said,

As true as that may be, it means nothing to me when I txt >1500 msgs a month, and maybe talk 60 minutes a month on average and 300 minutes on a month where I talk a lot throughout the day. Meanwhile, I have >3000 rollover minutes, so my current AT&T plan is essentially unlimited everything. For *me* the difference would be about $25. And that is still significant enough for me to be seriously considering switching to Sprint when my contract with AT&T expires.

Edited by Shadrack, May 25 2010, 9:54pm :

Shadrack said,

That's almost sad, but I get all of those services for a cheaper price with AT&T. You just need to know how to talk to the workers. so thats $40 off, and yes I do get AT&T navigation free as well.

NeoandGeo said,
Contract/10. Even if it dropped to free it would still be a bum deal.
Indeed. Everyone is seeing the $97 and going ooooooh! Yet thats not a good deal at all. Thats $97 + a 2 year contract. In the UK I can get one free with the same contract length.

TCLN Ryster said,

For people who have been with AT&T for years upon years.. This changes nothing. Having to add 2 more years to my contract doesn't phase me when I've already been had my contract for 9 years. Another 2 is just an obvious renewal to me.

TCLN Ryster said,

Yeah but the UK's mobile providers are actually terrible (I know its very surprising) you hardly ever get service when your not in the middle of a large city or town.

Aaron7pm said,

Eh? The UK mobile networks are pretty good, i've never been somewhere in the UK where no provider has had any signal and my O2 iPhone very rarely has no signal and 3G is available a lot.

brettuk said,

You've obviously never been to Devon

On my bus journey home which is 1 1/4 hours, I get a 3G signal for around 5 mins as I leave the city and then can't even make a phone call for the rest of the journey never mind load a webpage (on O2 which has the most coverage round here)

If you stand on top of the hill where I live (around 1/2 a mile from my house), I can load a webpage otherwise no chance.

Thank God for WiFi, at least that's a good excuse to go into a pub here to check my emails!

Bazenga said,
any of you know if I can order this online and ship it to my country? Or I'm obliged to have AT&T contract?
something within the lines of 'not sold online' tell me you'll have a hard time doing so.

Bazenga said,

"The special price discount requires consumers to sign a two year deal with AT&T..."

Lets read the story.....

schiz-o-phren-ic said,

sorry, I didn't read . I was excited to know it's only 97$.

Cupcakes said,
Wow, that's not actually a bad deal. Won't use my upgrade for this though. *is patiently waiting for the 4G*

4G? AT&T hasnt even started to work on 4G. If your talking about the 4th Gen iPhone, It wont be $97 trust me... one of the reasons the price for the 3GS is lowered is because the 4th gen will probably come out this year or early next.

Aaron7pm said,

It's called the iPhone 4G; Are you that thick? Anyway, next time instead of taking a simple comment out of context, you can first think to yourself: Do I need to assume something?

That being said, I simply stated that the $97 upgrade to the >3GS< was nice but I'd rather put forth my upgrade (and money) towards the iPhone 4G. BTW, the low upgrade price on the 3GS is because the 4G is being released this June.

Thank you come again.