Windows Live Hotmail update moving slower than expected; only 1% updated

The windows team blog posted a message to all of the eager customers waiting for the new rollout of Windows Live Hotmail Wave 4. The update hasn't been going as quickly as most users would have expected, when it began rolling out two weeks ago.

The Hotmail team made a note that the rollout does not go by country, language or anything else, but updates by what cluster your account is located on. So users using multiple accounts may notice that one mailbox has been updated while the other hasn't.

The Hotmail team mentioned that they have ran into some minor problems with the update, adjusting a few things “under the hood” in the early stages of the release. The rollout has only been released to a single cluster, among hundreds of clusters, which covers a few million customers, less than 1% of all Hotmail users.

Amongst the hundreds of clusters is different hardware, as not every cluster is identical, which will require additional testing. During this week the Hotmail team will be testing the new version on these clusters to assure everything is running smoothly. Once testing has completed, the remaining 99% of the customers will begin seeing an updated mailbox, however, the team said this will still take a few weeks to finish.

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

PlayStation 3 firmware 3.40 arrives, brings PlayStation Plus [Updated]

Next Story

Hulu Plus announced with support for iPad and iPhone

39 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

XPero said,
"moving slower --> then <-- expected" ??

err..it's called a typo..surely you must have done this before in your whole life O_o

:: Lyon :: said,

err..it's called a typo..surely you must have done this before in your whole life O_o

On this site, you'll find that people think it increases their reputation if they point this out on news articles. It's kind of pathetic.

Anyone else get long waits if they check a mail then select mark as junk? I'm hoping the update will fix this as it takes forever to update but deleting them is quick in response.

Morisato said,
Anyone else get long waits if they check a mail then select mark as junk? I'm hoping the update will fix this as it takes forever to update but deleting them is quick in response.

I usually mark them as phishing, but yes. It takes forever to mark them all and reload the page.

andrewbares said,

Wat's dis Neowing you beez talkin abut?

err..it's called a typo..surely you must have done this before in your whole life O_o

andrewbares said,

How so? Windows Live has a lot more users, 360 million accounts, compared to Google's 173 million (http://www.neowin.net/news/cru...gits-the-scale-of-microsoft).

WOW! I didn't even know that. Everybody I just about know usues Gmail and makes me feel like an outkast when I say I am using Windows Live Hotmail. Maybe someday Microsoft will consider upgrading their rollout service with some better technology. If it takes this long with 360 million accounts, how much longer will it take when it increases over the years?

JSYOUNG571 said,

WOW! I didn't even know that. Everybody I just about know usues Gmail and makes me feel like an outkast when I say I am using Windows Live Hotmail. Maybe someday Microsoft will consider upgrading their rollout service with some better technology. If it takes this long with 360 million accounts, how much longer will it take when it increases over the years?


It could be that a number of those are like me - uses Gmail for 95% of all mail business, and then a garbage account at Hotmail for the remaining 5% where I don't care for the spam, and only use it for signups etc.

JSYOUNG571 said,

WOW! I didn't even know that. Everybody I just about know usues Gmail and makes me feel like an outkast when I say I am using Windows Live Hotmail. Maybe someday Microsoft will consider upgrading their rollout service with some better technology. If it takes this long with 360 million accounts, how much longer will it take when it increases over the years?

Stop complaining, it is indeed all in your fanboy head. Gmail took a very long time for me to start seeing themes or any of the other upgrades it has received over the years. And their amount of mailboxes is less than half of Hotmail's amount. So maybe Google should improve their rollout service, maybe their UI while they're at it.

Northgrove said,

It could be that a number of those are like me - uses Gmail for 95% of all mail business, and then a garbage account at Hotmail for the remaining 5% where I don't care for the spam, and only use it for signups etc.
lol, I do a similar thing only that gmail is garbage and hotmail is day to day.

so, it's took 2 weeks for less than 1%. Than... they need more than 200 weeks for 100%. So, we have to wait at least 4 years, until update will be finished

Get real. If you read any of the article above or the original blog post on the blog, you would know that the more clusters upgraded, the more clusters upgraded at a time. One cluster accounted for millions of Hotmail accounts, even though that is 1% of all Hotmail accounts, that is still a very large number of accounts already on the new system. Nobody said they were going to do one cluster at a time, and test it for 2 weeks...

It was a joke....

What they could do - tell us, that it will happend like that: an update for a small fraction of users to test, who it runs. And than only for the rest of us. I waited for new hotmail and cannot unterstand, why it takes so long.

Electric Jolt said,
Get real. If you read any of the article above or the original blog post on the blog, you would know that the more clusters upgraded, the more clusters upgraded at a time. One cluster accounted for millions of Hotmail accounts, even though that is 1% of all Hotmail accounts, that is still a very large number of accounts already on the new system. Nobody said they were going to do one cluster at a time, and test it for 2 weeks...

Yeah, it could end up being 4 times as fast and only take a year!

cpu said,
[...]I waited for new hotmail and cannot unterstand, why it takes so long.

Why don't you read the article or blog then?

cpu said,
It was a joke....

What they could do - tell us, that it will happend like that: an update for a small fraction of users to test, who it runs. And than only for the rest of us. I waited for new hotmail and cannot unterstand, why it takes so long.

I'm pretty sure they had all intentions of rolling it out to everyone at a faster pace. As many have said, if you read what was going on they came across some issues and are addressing them. Much easier to start a roll out with a small number of clusters (in their case, 1) and fix the issues there before moving on.

I say, keep up the good work, Hotmail. I can wait until you fix the bugs.

DarkNovaGamer said,
I was wondering why this was going so slow.

Yeah, taking forever but I guess taking their time and getting things right is better than having millions of angry users.