BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean 90 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- Free of adware, spyware, and malware
- Translated to 52 languages
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features and more...
These are the changes since version 0.9.2:
- The new application icon looks better—especially on a black background
- Google Chrome and Chromium: clean some more SQLite database journals
- Google Chrome and Chromium: clean Favicons on new browser release (instead of giving an error about the database version)
- Google Chrome, Chromium: find more bookmarks to avoid affecting history and favicons related to bookmarks, and avoid the error "KeyError: 'url'"
- Be quiet about "Unsupported special file type" error message (LP#1012930)
Specific to Linux
- Do not try to launch GUI if X is not available (LP#1004923)
- Be quiet about "[Errno 39] Directory not empty" error message (LP#1012930)
Specific to Windows
- Support Firefox 13 (which on Windows acted like it was running even when it was closed)
- Update Brazilian Portuguese, Catalan, Dutch, Lietuvių, Slovak and Ukrainian