Earlier today Google announced “Google Catalogs” a free application, which allows tablet users to browse digital versions of their favorite print catalogs. The application enables users to subscribe to paper-free versions of their favorite catalogs and be informed whenever a new issue has been released.
With Google Catalogs, you are able to:
- Interact: Zoom in to see products up close, tap on tags to learn more about an item or, in some catalogs, view inspiring photo albums and videos.
- Find products in nearby stores: When an item catches your eye, instantly find it in a store near you or tap “Buy on Website” to visit the merchant online.
- Express your creativity: Create a collage of your favorite catalog pages and products. If you need inspiration, you can check out collages created by others.
- Share with friends: Email a product or collage to all your shopping buddies.
- Get instant access to new catalogs: Add catalogs to your Favorites and get notified each time a new issue arrives.
- Discover new products and brands: Search for products within or across multiple catalogs to find exactly what you're looking for.
Google Catalogs has a host of catalogs ranging from fashion to gifts for kids with brands such as Anthropologie, Bare Escentuals, Bergdorf Goodman, Crate and Barrel, L.L. Bean, Lands' End, Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Pottery Barn, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sephora, Sundance, Tea Collection, Urban Outfitters and Williams-Sonoma, with loads more on the way soon.
Surprisingly, the app is currently only available on the iPad, with Google saying that a future Google Catalogs for Android Tablets version is coming soon.