Microsoft releases free My Server app for Windows 8

Microsoft continues to launch new Windows 8 apps that it has developed in house. A couple of weeks ago, we noted the launch of the Microsoft Dynamics Business Analyzer app, and this week, Microsoft launched the free My Server app in the Windows Store.

The app's description says that with this app, Windows 8 and Windows RT PC owners can use it to access and even edit shared files on servers that are running Windows Server 2012 Essentials. It offers support for searching for documents on both your Windows 8/RT PC and the server's shared folders. It will even allow users to access recently opened filed on the server even if the app is not connected to the server at that time.

The app also has features that give its owners the power to manage other users, devices, and alerts on the server, and it also supports streaming play back of media files from the server to the Windows 8 PC. Microsoft launched a similar free My Server app for Windows Phone owners so this new app seems to be an extension of that earlier work.

Once again, it's cool that Microsoft continues to support Windows 8 with its selection of free apps and we suspect that trend will continue.

Source: Windows Store | Image via Microsoft

Twitter hacked, up to 250,000 accounts compromised

Some Bing users experienced downtime on Friday

View more comments

dvb2000 said
Windows 7 is FAR SUPERIOR to Windows 8 for desktop and laptop users and FAR MORE productive.
Haha, oh really. How?

dvb2000 said
Nothing to do with learning something new (which people do every day), is about getting a more usable and productive computer.
Actually it has a lot to do with learning something. Have you ANY comments about it at all, probably not.

dvb2000 said
If Windows 8 gave you improvements in productivity and usability, people would be falling over themselves to "learn" it.
Not neccisarilly. Some people don't like radical changes, and the part that Microsoft screwed up on was by not providing a good-enough tutorial to explain the Modern UI.

dvb2000 said
Basically all it does is provide a dumbed down windows with a touch screen.
You couldn't of been more wrong.]

dvb2000 said
If Windows 7 is so superior as you claim it is, then where is the all the features that Windows 8 provided in 7. Where is all the improvements that Windows 8 provided in 7.

You've clearly shown that you don't know much about Windows 8. You should do some research next time..

User experience matters more than functionality.

If the user hates using the software, they're going to look for alternatives.

This is why I am still on Vista and not 7. The user experience for me fell so badly that I couldn't justify the minor upgrades 7 has over Vista.

Don't understand? More detail here: http://imgur.com/a/DXZ0G

That's a terrible comparison. You've gone out of your way to make Windows 7 look more like Vista then complain that Windows 7 is somehow worse?

Even the control panel thing was silly since you could have pressed the Windows key and typed whatever you needed and got your CP item within a second.

But you couldn't even do that because you've replaced the start menu with a classic one...

Downgrading is probably one of the stupidest move someone could make. Apparently in today's world people don't have the capacity or will to learn anything.

If people are willing to downgrade to an inferior version of Windows, then it's purely their loss.

Argument!

The problem is not if people COULD learn to use new OS but if those customer SHOULD learn to use new OS.

Also, new is not the same than better and old is not synonym of inferior. Example windows xp > windows vista, windows 98 se > windows me, and windows 7 > windows 8.

Windows 8 is not so bad, but it is just a poor transition OS.

]

A lack of tutorials is exactly what's wrong win Win 8 *rolls my eyes*

dvb2000 said,

Basically all it does is provide a dumbed down windows with a touch screen.

No wonder people won't have a bar of it.

Typing it in capitals doesn't magically turn nonsense into fact you know.

With half a brain, anybody can make Windows 8 function exactly like 7 did in terms of the desktop. Then you benefit from the added performance of Windows 8, the improved task manager, file operations dialog, and other minor tweaks. To say Windows 7 is more productive than Windows 8 on the desktop is blatant trolling nonsense, though to be fair it's what I've come to expect from dvb2000. He comes into every Windows 8 related topic expending effort spouting his vitriol and hate about it. A surprising amount of effort and interest shown for somebody who hates the product being discussed.

Then you've got computer technicians like the OP who insist on perpetuating the nonsense too. Rather than educating the user that with a couple of minor tweaks they can make it function exactly like Windows 7 if they wish, they instead deny the customer the proven benefits of the new OS and downgrade them back to Windows 7... lemming like. Whether this is down to greed to sell more IT services, laziness because they can't be bothered to explain it, or whether they think the users don't deserve to make an informed choice on their own, I'll never know.

ozzy76 said,

A lack of tutorials is exactly what's wrong win Win 8 *rolls my eyes*

This I actually agree on. While Windows 8 is neither hard, nor traumatic to learn if you went in with an open mind and didn't just expect it to work the same way as older products, I can agree that Microsoft really did a poor job on the education front.

Edited by Ryster, Feb 2 2013, 12:36pm :

TCLN Ryster said,

Sorry my sarcasm wasn't very apparent. I just don't think a few more tutorials from MS would have made much of an impact overall.

ozzy76 said,

I do; majority of people, contrary to the ones here, do not particularly care to go on a quest to find out what the potential advantages are. If I want to sell my new product I have to show why is better than what offered by the competition and my own previous one, which could be even trickier.

I know right.

I love Apple (don't get me wrong) but I think they had something to do with this. Not a lot, but just a little. They've been pushing the notion that software needs to be easy to use and that people should be able to use it right out of the box.

It isn't that Apple pushes for things to be easy, it is they do not and have not substantially changed their UI or virtually any UI aspect in almost 30 years.

The Mac in 1984 and the Mac in 2013 still use the same UI controls, the same shell concepts of 'Finder' and the same 'Menu' interface.

This isn't making things easier, it is just not changing much, so that their sheep don't get confused.

As Bill Buxton said a couple of years ago; it is sad that if someone went into a coma in 1985 and woke up today that they could grab the Mac mouse and continue without any adjustment.

Usability and interface technology SHOULD be advancing to better meet the needs of users, and NOT LOCKED to a concept made up in the early 80s.

(Even the iPhone/iPad pulls from the 1984 Mac rather than reinvents anything of substance.)

DAOWAce said
User experience matters more than functionality.
But the UX depends on the functionality of the OS.

DAOWAce said
Minor? So, you think several improvements to the security, resource management, bugs and glitches, etc. are all minor improvements.. All I can say is, have fun using inferior software..

DAOWAce said
Don't understand? More detail here: http://imgur.com/a/DXZ0G
Wow.. I can't even point out all the flaws you've showed me on one hand.

Brony said

Windows 8 is not so bad, but it is just a poor transition OS.

Well I look at it this way. Does this OS have all of the improvements and new features as this OS. Windows XP is not better than Vista because it still has it's own set of issues. I would say that it's at least tied with Vista.

Windows 7 is not better than 8 because it does not have all the improvements and new features that make it better than 7. 7 is a great OS but if you compare it to 8, there are several differences.

TCLN Ryster said

Typing it in capitals doesn't magically turn nonsense into fact you know.

Very well said.

Agreed. There are a lot of haters here bashing MS who clearly don't have a 2012 Essentials server and don't understand how useful this app is.

jakem1 said,

What else is new? It's a given that any Windows 8 post will have the haters coming in. The same is true for other things as well. If people who didn't care about or like something didn't go into those topics just to spew hate things would be so much better.

No kidding. These haters are spending an unusual amount of effort to go out of their way to poison topics about Windows 8. They don't like the product, they're not using it, so why does it even affect them? It's quite sad really.

Edited by Ryster, Feb 2 2013, 1:55pm :

This really isn't useful unless you find yourself wanting to do something important but have only got a touch device. If you find yourself in that position then your i.t management team needs firing.

You're missing the point of this. Windows Server 2012 Essentials isn't designed for organisations with an IT management team. It's designed for small businesses and home users that want a file server with robust remote access that's easy to manage.

This app (and the Windows Phone version that came before it) gives you fast remote access to files and server management. You can do all these things using the server's built-in web access but the app is faster and more user friendly.

I do understand MS wanting to make change, and that is not a bad thing at all, no way. But to alienate your customer base with such a drastic one, and expect 'everyone' to go with the flow, ain't gonna work. The key word here is 'everyone'. Not all users have the tech savvy mind or time to 'figure out' (and that is what Windows 8 is for quite a few it seems) how to work what has been on a PC for years. Its easy for myself to sit here and adjust to an unusual interface, and will be for others, and get to grips with it in every day life, we move on, fine.

If you have flown an aircraft for years, repeating the same old tasks and events, only to find, that one day, your cockpit has changed, maybe for the better, and without tutorial, it may be faster and more efficient, but would you be comfortable using it for the flight ahead?

Yes I know its an analogy far different from sitting at a PC, but its still true. I know no one is forcing anyone to downgrade to Windows 8, and that we ALL have different learning curves in life, therefore, one should not accept that, because one company says we should move on, and go in that direction, it is necessarily right or wrong?

Edited by scaramonga, Feb 3 2013, 6:57am :

scaramonga said,

err what are you smoking, were you around when they went from windows 3.11 to windows 95 that was a dramatic change, that made people nto liek ti also, the same fiasco is happneing all over agon we have gone form windows 7 to 8 and **** has changed

ugh...

Cars/planes/bikes etc... analogies. Never worked, never will be.

It's easy. MS did the dance and changed the startscreen of windows. People panicked. Dust will settle, people will adjust.

People accepted the world is not flat, not the center of the universe etc. etc.
And people can pick up a iOS or Android tablet and not complaining about it being different from Windows. So again, people will adjust, or stay at theit beloved Windows <type version here>