Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
What's new in this version:
- More groups are added: 3 folder groups, 8 keyword groups and 8 delimiter sets.
- Multipart keywords (for exemple: "else if" can be defined as single keyword) is supported.
- Whitespace is no longer mandatory as keyword separator: Operators and folding keywords can be recognized with or without whitespace separators.
- Operators and delimiters can be longer that one character now.
- Numbers recognition support is greatly improved(prefix, suffix, range and extra symbols supported).
- The same characters can be used as comments AND operators.
- Comments and delimiters support nesting (even within each other).