Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin integrates with the system tray on Windows.
- Make the max size of incoming smileys a pref instead of hardcoding it. (Quentin Brandon) (#5231)
- Added a plugin information dialog to show information for plugins that aren't otherwise visible in the plugins dialog.
- Fix building with GTK+ earlier than 2.14.0 (GTK+ 2.10 is still the minimum supported) (#14261)
- Fix a potential crash in the Log Reader plugin when reading QIP logs.
- Fix a large number of strcpy() and strcat() invocations to use strlcpy() and strlcat(), etc., forestalling an entire class of string buffer overrun bugs. (The Electronic Frontier Foundation, Dan Auerbach, Chris Palmer, Jacob Appelbaum)
- Change some filename manipulations in filectl.c to use MAXPATHLEN instead of arbitrary length constants. (The Electronic Frontier Foundation, Dan Auerbach, Chris Palmer, Jacob Appelbaum)
- Fix endianness-related crash in NTLM authentication (Jon Goldberg) (#14163)
- Fixed searching for buddies in public directory. (Tomasz Wasilczyk) (#5242)
- Better status message handling. (Tomasz Wasilczyk) (#14314)
- Merged two buddy blocking methods. (Tomasz Wasilczyk) (#5303)
- Fix building of the bundled libgadu library with older versions of GnuTLS. (patch plucked from upstream) (#14365)
- Fix crash selecting Tools->Set Mood when you're online with an ICQ account that is configured as an AIM account. (#14437)
- Fix a crash when remote users have certain characters in their nicknames. (Discovered by Djego Ibanez) (#14341)
- Fix the handling of formatting following mIRC O (#14436)
- Fix crash when NAMES is empty. (James McLaughlin?) (#14518)
- Fix incorrect handling of HTTP 100 responses when using the HTTP connection method. This can lead to a crash. (Discovered by Marius Wachtler)
- Fix seemingly random crashing. (#14307)
- Fix a crash when the account is disconnected at the time we are doing a SB request. (Hanzz, ported by shlomif) (#12431)
- Do not generate malformed XML ("") when setting an empty mood. (#14342)
Fix the /join
behavior. (Broken when adding support for @ ) (#14205)
- Fix coming out of idle while in an unavailable state
- Fix logging into Yahoo! JAPAN. (#14259)
- Open an explorer.exe window at the location of the file when clicking on a file link instead of executing the file, because executing a file can be potentially dangerous. (Discovered by James Burton of Insomnia Security) (Fixed by Eion Robb)