StartIsBack returns Windows 8 a real fully featured start menu and start button, behaving exactly like the ones in Windows 7. StartIsBack radically improves desktop usability and makes new Start screen clutter-free. StartIsBack is fully native lightweight zero-privileges program, cheap and fair, fast, stable and secure.
StartIsBack restores original Windows 7 start menu with all its features: search, jump lists, drag&drop, pinned and recently used apps, fully customizable settings. Start button and Start menu look and behave exactly as they used to in Windows 7. StartIsBack includes fine-tuned visual styles and start button images that will fit your style and Windows 8 style. StartIsBack does not run any additional services or programs. It integrates into your computer smoothly. It does not require any other tools or frameworks to install and can be installed without administrative privileges. Start menu is fully localized into your language with same metrics and names Windows 7 had.
Changes in 2.1 RC1:
- Option to show taskbar on the Start Screen. When enabled, taskbar is available on the Start Screen. It's also recolored to match Metro color. Supports auto-hide and secondary taskbars. Hot corners which are overlapped by taskbar on Start Screen behave like configured to behave on desktop.
- "Pin to Start menu" is available in all programs shell context menus, not just in File Explorer
- Excluded shortcuts for system shortcuts which are available on the right start menu pane (Run, Control Panel, etc) from start menu MFU program list
- Multiple activations of the same license key is possible on same Windows installation but different hardware (to handle VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop)
Changes in 2.1 RC2:
- Fixes for taskbar on Start Screen