Winamp supports a wide variety of contemporary and specialized music file formats, including MIDI, MOD, MPEG-1 audio layers 1 and 2, AAC, M4A, FLAC, WAV, OGG Vorbis, and Windows Media Audio. It supports gapless playback for MP3 and AAC, and Replay Gain for volume leveling across tracks. In addition, Winamp can play and import music from audio CDs, optionally with CD-Text, and can also burn music to CDs. Winamp supports playback of Windows Media Video and Nullsoft Streaming Video, as well as most of the video formats supported by Windows Media Player. 5.1 Surround sound is supported where formats and decoders allow.
Winamp supports many types of streaming media: Internet radio, Internet telelvision, XM Satellite Radio, AOL video, Singingfish content, podcasts, and RSS media feeds. It also has extendable support for portable media players, and users can access their media libraries anywhere via internet connections.
You can extend Winamp's functionality through the use of plug-ins, which are available on the Winamp site.
* New: Option to write ratings to tags (for mp3, wma/wmv, ogg & flac)
* Improved: Redesigned Devices/Portables view in Media Library
* Improved: New on-the-fly "Vertically flip (Shift+F)" option in Video context menu
* Improved: [ml_plg] Playlist Generator: context menu dialog & other features
* Improved: [ml_pmp] More user-friendly Transcoding options for portable devices
* Improved: [ml_transcode] Added support for
* Improved: [nsutil] Optimized video flip modes
* Fixed: [gen_ff] Bookmark corruption via Send To menu in main window songticker
* Fixed: [gen_ml] Empty/Grey ML when restarting Winamp from a minimized state
* Fixed: [gen_ml] Scrolling lag in nav panel with large amount of items
* Fixed: [in_midi] Buffer/Integer overflow issues (thanks: Joakim @ nsense)
* Fixed: [in_mod] Buffer overflow in comment box (MTM security vulnerability)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] ID3v1 UI glitch, APEv2 + Lyrics3 tag combo bug, APEv2 tag removal
* Fixed: [in_mp4] Potential crash on getting metadata/albumart from invalid MP4 files
* Fixed: [in_nsv] Integer overflow when parsing TOC (thanks to: C. Eiram, Secunia)
* Fixed: [in_nsv] Video flip mode detection quirks
* Fixed: [ml_local] Arrow direction and sort inconsistencies in 3-pane views
* Fixed: [ml_transcode] Freeze transcoding .cda when using
* Misc: Prompt user whether to move skins/langpacks when changing location
* Misc: Removed Winamp Remote from installer
* Misc: [ml_pmp] Moved 'Podcast Sync' to new tab in portable device options
* Misc: [out_ds] Config now displays 7.1 speakers as '7.1' instead of 'Unknown'
* Updated: [in_vorbis] libogg v1.2.1 & libvorbis v1.3.2
* Updated: [vp8] libvpx v0.9.5Winamp is a skinnable, multi-format media player.