BIOS POST - 3 long beeps?

BIOS is Award. I have not been able to Google up anything useful yet.

PC specs:

* Motherboard: DFI AK-74 EC

* 900 MHZ Athlon CPU @ 855 MHZ.

* Via KT133 chipset.

* 512 MB of RAM (changing RAM doesn?t help)

* Tried 2 different AGP cards and one PCI, doesn?t help. AGP cards are GF2 MX and GF4 Ti4200. PCI card is Voodoo 3 2000.

Any idea what this means - when we turn it on, the PC sounds 3 long beeps, then turns off. Usually, after we turn it on for 20ish times, it turns on OK. A simple reboot produces the problem again.

sounds like a memory problem. that thing is old, lol

I don't think it is RAM. We tried like 4 different sticks, can't be all of them bad.

If you think that is old, I still have a mobo (not in a case now) that has a 366 MHZ AMD K6 CPU... :p

There are two kinds of beep codes in the BIOS. One code indicates

that a video error has occured and the BIOS cannot initialize the

video screen to display any additional information. This beep code

consists of a single long beep followed by three short beeps. The

other code indicates that a DRAM error has occured. This beep

code consists of a single long beep.

Those are the only two beep error codes mentioned for you board. Check appendix B1 of your manual.

http://img.lanparty.tw/Upload/Manual/CM/43840104.PDF

old? a 486 is old, my friend...

did you try reseating everything?

I do have a 486 CPU here is front of my on my desk (as a souvenir). I also have a 486 motherboard complete with RAM and CPU somehwhere...

Yes, we tried reseating RAM and videocard.

yes, it would run those flawlessly, but i was comparing it to the technology of today, and that's quite a few floors down.

Also, why are you running the processor at 855MHz instead of it's rated 900MHz? Older motherboards did not have PCI/AGP bus frequency locks, so if you are running a lower frequency bus speed it may be causing problems for your PCI/AGP devices.

yes, it would run those flawlessly, but i was comparing it to the technology of today, and that's quite a few floors down.

i'm sure the kit controlling most nuclear devices in the world is quaint in comparison to an athlon...

i'm sure the kit controlling most nuclear devices in the world is quaint in comparison to an athlon...

rofl... make sure there's not one in your house... uh-oh...