HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver

Hello

I am hoping someone here can give me an easy fix to get my intelligent provisioning running again, I was using it to format a drive to reinstall my OS, while it was formatting the system hung and I was left with no other option but to pull the plug.

Now on hitting F10 to run intelligent provisioning nothing happens apart from the system trying to boot from disk, not sure how I can fix this as I have no OS on the server now.

Thanks

why do you have to use their stupid provisioning ######? Just boot and install whatever you want.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5177949&docId=mmr_kc-0108973&docLocale=en_US

This should show you how to setup gen8 to boot from usb, or cdrom, etc.

You are probably going to have to download the latest version of the software to repair it. 

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/management/ilo/index.aspx#tab=TAB5

Thanks for the reply I have already done that with no change, I did see when it ran that it did flash the system. 

why do you have to use their stupid provisioning ######? Just boot and install whatever you want.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5177949&docId=mmr_kc-0108973&docLocale=en_US

This should show you how to setup gen8 to boot from usb, or cdrom, etc.

I thought you had to install by using it, so that you get all needed drivers for the system.

there is nothing saying you have to use their system.. Its a computer, it has hard disks, etc. You can boot whatever OS you want to install.. So your saying when you hit F10 you don't get anything?

you should get a prompt on what you want to do..

here is how to reinstall it if no prompt, etc..

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5219984&docId=emr_na-c03693433&docLocale=en_US

Advisory: HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers - How to Install/Reinstall Intelligent Provisioning (IP) if It Does Not Launch After Pressing F10 During Power-On Self-Test (POST)

The recovery media (for whatever reason I cannot download it right now) should set the system up in a recovery mode to reinstall/update that software/firmware.  If it doesn't a call to HP will be in order.

HP tech told me to reinstall IP using iLO4 and gave me the following info.

HOW TO CONFIGURE ILO4 IN GEN8.

1. Turn ON the Server, press F8 key at the Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) prompt.
2. If prompted to enter user name and Password, use the information you found on iLO tag. 3. Once you login, you will be at iLO BIOS.
From iLO RBSU, go to Network and select DNS/DHCP option from there.

For static ipaddress
Please press space bar and disable the DHCP.

Now under Network menu, select NIC and TCP/IP settings.
Now enter an IP address and Subnet Mask for your iLO.
You have to provide an IP of your network range.

To Save the settings, please press F10 key.

Go to File menu and select Exit to close the iLO Configuration window.

Please remember IP you have assigned for ILO. You will receive a window saying, Press Enter key to restart Server.

you then need to connect a ethernet cable to the iLO port on the server & the other end to your laptop / desktop.

I have got that far but on using the static IP I set to access iLO I get the page cannot be displayed, I am stuck now as HP chat seems to be offline, does anyone know how I access iLO this way?

So what kind of nic is on the computer you are using to try to attach to the iLO port?  Is it a gig nic?  If not you may need a cross over cable.  You are supposed to directly attach your computer to the iLO port based on these directions.  No switch/router/hub in between...which could be why chat is offline, you may be disconnected from the internet.   Also hard code your computer nic to be on the same subnet that you set for your iLO. 

you then need to connect a ethernet cable to the iLO port on the server & the other end to your laptop / desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why instructions would have you do this to be honest.. You can clearly put a switch between, as long as your devices are on same network they would be able to talk to each other. As sc302 mentions if one of the nics, either the ilo or the laptop/deskop is not gig you prob don't have auto mdi-x (auto crosssover).