Windows 10 Insider to Windows 10 (final) without any kind of key is possible.

I was on an Insider copy of Windows 10 and I decided to do a clean install using media creation tool by choosing the ISO option.

After installing Windows 10 using that ISO and not typing any key, my copy is activated permanently. I did not use any kind of key and I have a non insider copy of Windows 10 for free.

Is this even possible?

I did the same thing with the same result...  *shrug*

Oh nice.

Did you check your activation? I used the slmgr/xpr command to check and it says it's permanently activated!

I guess we just got Windows 10 for free without a key.

Upon inspection after upgrading my Windows 8.1 Pro install to Windows 10 pro and using a keyfinder Microsoft is using the generic key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T to activate Windows 8.1 pro upgrades.

So at this moment, I think if your PC was ever activated using that generic key ... a.k.a via the insiders program while connected to a Microsoft account. You can clean install the pro version and you  are permanently activated.

Edited by warwagon

That is because you are an Insider. You don't need a key for it as long as MS server has your MSA and device ID.

But without those information, you will need a key for clean install.

No key needed for upgrade option for free offer.

Hopefully this works when installing on new hardware (motherboard). :p

Good luck. Not sure how it works with hardware changes... you might want to call Activation Center for it.

Good luck. Not sure how it works with hardware changes... you might want to call Activation Center for it.

Yeah, I already do the phone activation by default on all my installs.

That is because you are an Insider. You don't need a key for it as long as MS server has your MSA and device ID.

But without those information, you will need a key for clean install.

No key needed for upgrade option for free offer.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Thanks.

I have 3 PC's that I have installed with a clean ISO from the thumb drive, all three are permanently activated =)

It does ask for a key during setup, I click the option to deal with it later and finish the install, once I setup my account and link my Microsoft account to it, then it activates permanently.

I'm hoping the device ID is also tied to the boot drive Windows is installed on (SSD in my case). If so changing the motherboard hopefully won't make a difference.

I'm hoping the device ID is also tied to the boot drive Windows is installed on (SSD in my case). If so changing the motherboard hopefully won't make a difference.

You never know... MS has the log of your system..  such as MB, RAM, etc.

if something changes that isn't matched to the log on the server, you will be notified about entering a new key.

If not asking for a key, then you are good to go.

So some people have free activation, other insiders like me cannot activate because key is blocked.

how to fix?

is there a way for insiders to contact support?

You never know... MS has the log of your system..  such as MB, RAM, etc.

if something changes that isn't matched to the log on the server, you will be notified about entering a new key.

If not asking for a key, then you are good to go.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, as either way I'll either activate as an Insider or I'll use one of my Windows 8.1 keys.

Wait, you do know that Windows 10 "Insider" which is 10240 is the same as "Final" right? You just go in and turn Insider Previews off if you don't want to be an insider anymore... :wacko:

So some people have free activation, other insiders like me cannot activate because key is blocked.

how to fix?

is there a way for insiders to contact support?

Did you get every build?

Or you went something like Build 9926 to build 10240 which means you skip a few builds between those builds I mentioned, then you are screwed, because you must use the build 10156 or so in order for you to keep you stay in Insider.

I went every build .. and no problems since then. 

I've been using Windows 10 Insider Preview about a month and I did a clean install using the ISO on the same drive and Windows said that the key was blocked.

I called Microsoft support and they said that the only way for me to get my free copy was to re-install Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 10. So that's what I've been doing for the last two hours - waiting for updates to download on Windows 8. Still have 40 updates to go.

Wait, you do know that Windows 10 "Insider" which is 10240 is the same as "Final" right? You just go in and turn Insider Previews off if you don't want to be an insider anymore... :wacko:

Yep, that works and is true

But that goes against everything Microsoft has been telling us. They said if you get Windows 10 for free if you stay in the insider program. If you dont' want to do the insider program you have to upgrade a version of 7 and 8.

I've been using Windows 10 Insider Preview about a month and I did a clean install using the ISO on the same drive and Windows said that the key was blocked.

I would of tried phone activation first before reinstalling Windows 8.

I get no option for phone activation, but it is happy to accept £188 of me, so I test the product for them and as a thanks they want £188 of me?

I called Microsoft support and they said that the only way for me to get my free copy was to re-install Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 10. So that's what I've been doing for the last two hours - waiting for updates to download on Windows 8. Still have 40 updates to go.

yeah is a scam.

Both me and you are entitled to a free copy for testing.  Don't waste your win8 license on this we entitled to a free insider copy.

Both me and you are entitled to a free copy for testing.  Don't waste your win8 license on this we entitled to a free insider copy.

Well, I only have 24 updates to go and I don't mind "wasting" it. Just wish it would have worked the first time so I could do something else than waiting for updates and waiting for the upgrade option to appear.

Hmm, this is interesting.  I have a practically clean install of 10240, which I'm reckoning is the final version of Windows 10 that's being supplied now for everyone else.  I say practically clean because I did a clean install of 10162, then an immediate upgrade to 10240 before installing any applications.  I would still like to download the ISO in case it's necessary in the future, but it's good to know I could do a clean install with that media and not worry about activating it.

So if I have 10240 already installed and activated, all I need to do is preform a clean install using the ISO? No key needed?

If I want to continue with what I have, its the exact same as what is now being offered as RTM?

So if I have 10240 already installed and activated, all I need to do is preform a clean install using the ISO? No key needed?

If I want to continue with what I have, its the exact same as what is now being offered as RTM?

You can do the reset in Recovery for clean install.  No key needed.

Think you folks will have a shock soon, if that's a generic key it (and the build it's good for) will expire. Microsoft have already said this will be the process for insiders, they will have timebombed builds.