Greeted with flashing cursor on first reboot of W10 setup?

Hey up,

Found a bit of a weird issue when attempting to upgrade an aging Vostro 3300 to Win 10 via free upgrade. It may be related just to these uber nice Dell laptops (yes im being sarcastic, cheap crud)

After initial setup went smoothly (inplace upg), the PC restarts for the first time. 

Upon this restart I was presented with just a flashing cursor, right after post. 

If you power off, it pops up right after POST. no obvious way around it, F8 wont pop up a safe mode list as Win 10 hasnt been setup quite yet!

FIX

I managed to get past it by doing the following :- 

1) Connect an external Monitor

2) Hit Win & p a couple of times to invoke an external display. ( Fn & F8 does the same)

3) after 5-10 seconds the Win 10 boot logo re-appears then progresses onto next stage of steup.

I've had to do this on every reboot of the install on the Vostro,however my centrino based laptop and i7 desktop have been fine. (and yes it took 2 reinstallations of win 7 to figure it out LOL)

Possible cause?

It looks as if the onboard Intel HD gfx with its dual outputs is "confusing" Win 10 connecting a display to 2nd input seems to kick start the delayed process.

I have seen reports of others having to connect a second monitor to complete the upgrade as it for some reason loses output to the primary screen.

I have seen reports of others having to connect a second monitor to complete the upgrade as it for some reason loses output to the primary screen.

yer funny thing is my other 3 upgrades went flawlessly (all 3 have Intel HD gfx) the affected machine is taking hours to configure settings (2 hours so far!) 

Only obvious differences are this laptop only has 4Gb ram and a 320Gb platter drive. its painful watching it :p its like being back in Win 9x and watching the progress bar lol!

not looking forward to repeating this process on my dads Vostro 3350......hmm

Edited by Mando