Windows 10 GPOs/Action Center Notifications

Hey Guys,

So I have loaded up the Windows 10 ADML/ADMX Policy templates to our main repository and they are working fine. I am running into a few issues with the notifications however. We forcefully disable Windows Defender (We use TrendMicro OfficeScan) instead, and we disable the Windows Firewall for internal clients. The problem I am seeing is, the action center is constantly bugging my test system with

"Network Firewall" and "Windows Defender is disabled" etc, also "Disable Apps to help Improve Performance".

I can't see to find anywhere to turn these things off via GPO. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? On Windows 7, disabling those items via GPO the system seemed to tell the action center "Hey these are managed by the domain/administrator, don't report their status".

Wild guess, and excuse me if I'm wrong, I haven't touched Win 10 on a domain environment (and tbh not much at home either), nor seen what the new templates offer, but is there any settings in there for Action Center? Or has that been replaced with these notifications in Win 10?

Sorry, started new job recently, no time to play with new software until the time comes.

Not having the same issue here at all. The previous GPO settings appear to have worked. We are using McAfee and that's running OK without being notified (except for a out-of-date definitions message post install).

Using Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (EN-US) as that's what we have from VL currently.

Well there is no issue with the Anti-virus notifications, since we are using a third party solution, it is fine, We are using nothing for Firewall, and I don't need to alerting the clients constantly that the firewall is disabled. It never did this before. Same GPOs would turn it off, and the OS would go "oh it's disabled with GPO, don't show a notification"

• 1 month later...

Not having the same issue here at all. The previous GPO settings appear to have worked. We are using McAfee and that's running OK without being notified (except for a out-of-date definitions message post install).

Using Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (EN-US) as that's what we have from VL currently.

Is your McAfee running a Firewall or is it disabled along with the Windows Firewall?

Did you disable windows defender via gpo or some other way, I have it disabled via gpo and receive no notifications.

Yep, I'll double check. It's not defender that's giving a prompt, only "Network Firewall" and it specifically says when you click the notification "Windows Firewall is turned off and i scurrently being managed by your system administrator" but it for some reason feels the need to show this in the notifications every few hours.

Yep, I'll double check. It's not defender that's giving a prompt, only "Network Firewall" and it specifically says when you click the notification "Windows Firewall is turned off and i scurrently being managed by your system administrator" but it for some reason feels the need to show this in the notifications every few hours.

RTM OOTB Windows 10, not broken. Fully updated, we're getting the same behaviour you're describing now. We have a pending patch update to the McAfee agent that is supposed to resolve the Windows 10 'compatibility' issues. Currently waiting on the person(s) responsible for desktop policies in ePO to carry out the work.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84916

Yeah but keep in mind, I'm 1: Not using McAfee, and 2: Only talking about the Windows Firewall being force disabled by GPO but still nagging about it in notification/action center. Not sure if we have the same issue here. Our TrendMicro Officescan is up to date and supports Windows 10 and does not notify of any issues with AV/Malware scanning in the notification/action center