Office 365 or Office 2016

Question

Hey all,

I use Office at home for some work functions, resumes, and budgeting. My main apps are Word, Excel, Outlook and sometimes PowerPoint. I have read that Office 2016 is coming out Sept 22, 2015. However, I have also read that Office 365 is $99CAD/yr or $69CAD(No Outlook)/year.

I am currently using Office 2016 Preview, before I was using Office 2010. My question is, which Office should I use? 365 or buy outright?

I sometimes need to use Office in remote locations and I was told that without a good internet connection Office 365 is useless (cant even start it up). Is this true?

I also like owning instead of "renting"... but I have started to "rent" Adobe software for photography. So I am willing to go with 365 if it meets my needs.

Thank you. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Well, if you can 'rent', then rent

but most offer a trial so you can trial both, grab a pen and some paper, make notes of what you like/dislike, weigh up the pros and cons, and voila, there's your answer, remember it's you who has to live with it :)

It is NOT true that you can't use Office 365 when your internet connection is slow or gone. You will need an internet connection to download the software, after that you can go off line.

I've been using Office 365 for 2 years now and love it, the whole family has a genuine copy of the latest office version and we all get 1TB of Onedrive storage.

You can't go wrong with it!

I sometimes need to use Office in remote locations and I was told that without a good internet connection Office 365 is useless (cant even start it up). Is this true?

Nope, it basically installs the latest Office version to your PC. Mine is running 2016 beta right now.

Not everyone is, but I quite like how handy Office 365 is when you're moving around a lot between locations and multiple people... and it is always going to be updated. I guess not everyone needs to go from Office 2013 to 2016, but eventually some upgrade will be necessary, and in the meantime you miss some of the web features.

Office 365 works fine without an internet connection. (just tested on my own machine)
From what I can tell having used the Office 2016 preview and getting the 365 subscription - the only difference appears to me is that im renting Office 2016 for $10 a month, (which will automatically update me to Office 2018 or whatever) while Office 2016 is just a buy once and forget about it deal, meaning come 2018 or 2019 when the next version is out, you would need to buy that to upgrade, while I wouldnt as its part of my 'rent'. Hope that makes sense. 
Featurewise, I have everything normal Office would have (Word, Outlook, Access, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, & Publisher)